Study Guide for Kinn's Medical Assisting Fundamentals Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Teach your students the clinical and administrative competencies they need to succeed as Medical Assistants! Kinn's Medical Assisting Fundamentals, 2nd Edition covers the administrative and clinical knowledge, skills, and procedures that are essential to patient care. A reader-friendly approach makes it easier for students to understand foundational content including medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, basic math calculations, and soft skills. Built from the ground up according to CAAHEP and ABHES accreditation standards, it also simplifies medical assisting tasks with rationales for each step. New to the 2nd edition are chapters on intravenous procedures and limited-scope radiography as well as coverage of catheterization to address the expanded duties approved in many states. This practical text will help all levels of students launch their Medical Assisting careers!
- Review and practice supports educational competencies and certification test plan coverage.
- Focus on foundational areas includes a solid review of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, and basic math calculations.
- Vocabulary review, multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true/false questions test student knowledge and understanding of key concepts.
- Skills & Concepts, Word Puzzles, Case Studies, Workplace Applications, and Internet Activities enhance study with application and critical thinking exercises.
- Chapter review quizzes assess student comprehension and serve as an excellent review for classroom and certification exams.
- Procedure Checklists help students confirm mastery of key administrative and clinical skills.
- Work Products provide documentation of key tasks and help in building a skills portfolio.
- NEW chapters on intravenous procedures and limited-scope radiography provide coverage of expanded Medical Assisting functions approved in many states.
- NEW! Expanded content addresses behavioral health, catheterization procedures, disease states, medical office organization, expanding MA roles, and more.
UNIT 1: Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology
1. Medical Terminology Basics
2. Anatomy and Physiology Basics
3. Skeletal System
4. Muscular System
4. Integumentary System
6. Nervous System
7. Endocrine System
8. Sensory System
9. Blood, Lymphatic, and Immune Systems
10. Cardiovascular System
11. Respiratory System
12. Digestive System
13. Urinary System
14. Reproductive System
15. Behavioral Health
UNIT 2: Professional Medical Assistant
16. Healthcare and the Professional Medical Assistant
17. Applied Interpersonal Communication
18. Legal Basics
19. Healthcare Laws
20. Healthcare Ethics
UNIT 3: Administrative Ambulatory Care
21. The Health Record
22. Telephone Techniques
23. Scheduling and Reception
25. Written Communication
26. Daily Operations and Safety
27. Health Insurance Basics
28. Diagnostic Coding Basics
29. Procedural Coding Basics
30. Billing and Reimbursement
31. Accounts, Collections, and Banking
UNIT 4: Basic Clinical Procedures
32. Infection Control
33. Vital Signs
34. Patient Interview
35. Physical Examination
36. Assisting in Obstetrics and Gynecology
37. Assisting in Pediatrics
38. Assisting in Geriatrics
39. Surgical Equipment and Supplies
40. Surgical and Special Procedures
UNIT 5: Advanced Clinical Procedures
41. Patient Coaching with Health Promotion
42. Patient Coaching with Nutrition
43. Patient coaching with Rehabilitation
44. Pharmacology Math
45. Pharmacy Basics
46. Administering Medication
48. Cardiopulmonary Procedures
49. Medical Emergencies
UNIT 6: Limited Scope Radiology
50. Assisting with Radiology
51. Radiological Positioning
UNIT 7: Medical Laboratory
52. Assisting in the Clinical Laboratory
53. Assisting in the Analysis of Urine
54. Assisting in Blood Collection
55. Assisting in the Analysis of Blood
56. Assisting in Microbiology and Immunology
UNIT 8: Employment Seeking
57. Career Development
Appendix A: Word Parts and Definitions
Appendix B: Definitions and Word Parts
Appendix C: Abbreviations
Appendix D: Medical Classification
Brigitte Niedzwiecki, RN, MSN, RMA, Medical Assistant Program Director & Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin