Study Guide for Pharmacology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 11th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Reinforce student understanding of nursing pharmacology and patient-centered care! Corresponding to the chapters in McCuistion’s Pharmacology, 11th Edition, this study guide provides hundreds of practice problems and questions to help students review and remember pharmacology concepts. It includes drug calculation problems along with review questions and case studies using the nursing process. To prepare students for the new Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) examination, this edition adds NGN exam-style case studies. With this study guide, students will apply their knowledge of pharmacology to clinical practice, enhance their decision-making abilities, and develop clinical reasoning and critical thinking skills.
- NCLEX® review questions in each chapter include application-level questions and Next Generation NCLEX examination-style questions, along with at least one alternate item question.
- Detailed case studies enhance student understanding of nursing responsibilities in therapeutic pharmacology.
- A Drug Calculations chapter provides students the opportunity to review their knowledge and practice their skills in drug dosage calculation.
- Sample drug labels reflect the updated drug labels in McCuistion’s Pharmacology, 11th Edition textbook.
- Focus on safety includes a special icon that calls attention to questions related to safe patient care.
- Answers for all exercises are provided at the back of the book to make studying easier and include rationales for all application-level questions and case study questions.
- NEW! Six cognitive skills of the Clinical Judgment Model are integrated into the practice questions and case studies.
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) examination-style case studies are included in most chapters, and the remaining chapters include classic critical thinking case studies.
- NEW! Updated drug content matches the updates in McCuistion’s Pharmacology, 11th Edition textbook.
SECTION I: INTRODUCTION TO PHARMACOLOGY
1 Clinical Judgment Management Model (CJMM) and the Nursing Process
2 Drug Development and Ethical Considerations
3 Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics
5 Complementary and Alternative Therapies
6 Pediatric Considerations
7 Drug Therapy in Older Adults
8 Drugs in Substance Use Disorder
SECTION II: PHARMACOTHERAPY AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
9 Safety and Quality
10 Drug Administration
11 Drug Calculations
SECTION III: MAINTENANCE OF HOMEOSTASIS
12 Fluid Volume and Electrolytes
13 Vitamin and Mineral Replacement
14 Nutritional Support
SECTION IV: AUTONOMIC NERVOUSSYSTEM DRUGS
15 Adrenergic Agonists and Antagonists
16 Cholinergic Agonists and Antagonists
SECTION V: CENTRAL AND PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DRUGS
19 Antiseizure Drugs
20 Drugs for Parkinsonism and Alzheimer Disease
21 Drugs for Neuromuscular Disorders and Muscle Spasms
SECTION VI: MENTAL AND BEHAVIORAL HEALTH DRUGS
22 Antipsychotics and Anxiolytics
23 Antidepressants and Mood Stabilizers
SECTION VII: PAIN AND INFLAMMATION MANAGEMENT DRUGS
SECTION VIII: ANTIMICROBIAL DRUGS
26 Penicillins, Other Beta-lactams, and Cephalosporins
27 Macrolides, Oxazolidinones, Lincosamides, Glycopeptides, Ketolides, and Lipopeptides
28 Tetracyclines, Glycylcyclines, Aminoglycosides, and Fluoroquinolones
29 Sulfonamides and Nitroimidazoles Antibiotics
30 Antituberculars, Antifungals, and Antivirals
31 Antimalarials, Anthelmintics, and Peptides
SECTION IX: IMMUNOLOGIC DRUGS
32 HIV- and AIDS-Related Drugs
33 Transplant Drugs
SECTION X: ANTINEOPLASTICS AND BIOLOGIC RESPONSE MODIFIERS
35 Anticancer Drugs
36 Targeted Therapies to Treat Cancer
37 Biologic Response Modifiers
SECTION XI: RESPIRATORY DRUGS
38 Upper Respiratory Disorders
39 Lower Respiratory Disorders
SECTION XII: CARDIOVASCULAR DRUGS
40 Cardiac Glycosides, Antianginals, and Antidysrhythmics
43 Anticoagulants, Antiplatelets, and Thrombolytics
44 Antihyperlipidemics and Drugs to Improve Peripheral Blood Flow
SECTION XIII: GASTROINTESTINAL DRUGS
45 Gastrointestinal Tract Disorders
46 Antiulcer Drugs
SECTION XIV: EYE, EAR, AND SKIN DRUGS
47 Eye and Ear Disorders
48 Dermatologic Disorders
SECTION XV: ENDOCRINE DRUGS
49 Pituitary, Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Adrenal Disorders
SECTION XVI: RENAL AND UROLOGIC DRUGS
51 Urinary Disorders
SECTION XVII: REPRODUCTIVE AND GENDER-RELATED DRUGS
52 Pregnancy and Preterm Labor
53 Labor, Delivery, and Postpartum
54 Neonatal and Newborn
55 Women’s Reproductive Health
56 Men’s Reproductive Health
57 Sexually Transmitted Infections
SECTION XVIII: EMERGENCY DRUGS
58 Adult and Pediatric Emergency Drugs
Linda E. McCuistion, PhD, MSN, Retired Nursing Professor, University of Holy Cross,New Orleans, Louisiana, Kathleen DiMaggio, MSN, RN, Assistant Professor of Nursing,University of Holy Cross,New Orleans, Louisiana, Mary Beth Winton, PhD, RN, ACANP-BC, Assistant Professor,Tarleton State University,Stephenville, Texas and Jennifer J. Yeager, PhD, RN, Assistant Professor,Tarleton State University ,Stephenville, Texas