Pharmacology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 11th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Give your students a solid understanding of pharmacology and patient-centered nursing care! Pharmacology: A Patient-Centered Nursing Process Approach, 11th Edition makes it easy to learn the principles of pharmacology and drug dosage calculation. A clear guide to pharmacotherapy and safe drug administration, this book uses drug prototypes to provide need-to-know information about key drugs, including dosage, side effects, interactions, and more. Nursing Process summaries enhance your skills in clinical judgment and patient care. Written by a team of nursing experts led by Linda McCuistion, this text provides the pharmacology knowledge you need to succeed on the NCLEX® and as a professional nurse.
- UNIQUE! Prototype Drug charts provide easy access to key information for representative drugs, including dosages, side effects, interactions, contraindications, pharmacokinetics, and more.
- UNIQUE! Extensive Drug Calculations chapter features a math review as well as step-by-step instructions for frequently used methods of dosage calculation.
- UNIQUE! Nursing Process summaries highlight important nursing considerations related to drug therapy and emphasize patient teaching, patient safety, and relevant cultural content.
- Critical Thinking case studies challenge you to apply your knowledge and analytical skills to realistic patient scenarios, and include answer guidelines on Evolve.
- Learning features include chapter outlines and objectives, review questions, and learning resources on the Evolve website.
- Application-level NCLEX® study questions include at least one alternate-style question per chapter, preparing you for the growing pharmacology coverage on the NCLEX Examination.
- Safety and Quality chapter discusses medication errors, specific nursing measures to promote safety, National Patient Safety Goals, and other safety issues and concerns.
- Prioritization coverage helps you learn to prioritize nursing care by listing nursing interventions in the order of priority, and a smaller font size differentiates between need-to-know and nice-to-know content.
- NEW! Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) examination-style case studies familiarize you to the way that content will be tested in the new NGN exam.
- NEW! Updated and clinically relevant drug content includes the latest drugs and drug therapies, and removes drugs no longer being used.
- NEW! Updated Nursing Process summary boxes in each chapter include the Clinical Judgment Model steps along with the nursing process.
Unit 1: Introduction to Pharmacology
- The Nursing Process and Patient-Centered Care
- Drug Development and Ethical Considerations
- Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics
- Complementary and Alternative Therapies
- Pediatric Considerations
- Geriatric Considerations
- Drugs in Substance Use Disorder
- Safety and Quality
- Drug Administration
- Drug Calculations
- Fluid Volume and Electrolytes
- Vitamin and Mineral Replacement
- Nutritional Support
- Adrenergic Agonists and Antagonists
- Cholinergic Agonists and Antagonists
- Antiseizure Drugs
- Drugs for Parkinsonism and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Drugs for Neuromuscular Disorders and Muscle Spasms
- Antipsychotics and Anxiolytics
- Antidepressants and Mood Stabilizers
- Antituberculars, Antifungals, and Antivirals
- Antimalarials, Anthelmintics, and Peptides
- HIV- and AIDS-Related Drugs
- Transplant Drugs
- Anticancer Drugs
- Targeted Therapies to Treat Cancer
- Biologic Response Modifiers
- Upper Respiratory Disorders
- Lower Respiratory Disorders
- Cardiac Glycosides, Antianginals, and Antidysrhythmics
- Anticoagulants, Antiplatelets, and Thrombolytics
- Antihyperlipidemics and Drugs to Improve Peripheral Blood Flow
- Gastrointestinal Tract Disorders
- Antiulcer Drugs
- Eye and Ear Disorders
- Dermatologic Disorders
- Pituitary, Thyroid, Parathyroid, and Adrenal Disorders
- Urinary Disorders
- Pregnancy and Preterm Labor
- Labor, Delivery, and Postpartum
- Neonatal and Newborn
- Reproductive Health
- Men’s Health and Reproductive Disorders
- Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Adult and Pediatric Emergency Drugs
Unit 2: Pharmacotherapy and Drug Administration
Unit 3: Maintenance of Homeostasis
Unit 4: Autonomic Nervous System Drugs
Unit 5: Central and Peripheral Nervous System Drugs
Unit 6: Mental and Behavioral Health Drugs
Unit 7: Pain and Inflammation Management Drugs
Unit 8: Antimicrobial Drugs
Unit 9: Immunologic Drugs
Unit 10: Antineoplastics and Biologic Response Modifiers
Unit 11: Respiratory Drugs
Unit 12: Cardiovascular Drugs
Unit 13: Gastrointestinal Drugs
Unit 14: Eye, Ear, and Skin Drugs
Unit 15: Endocrine Drugs
Unit 16: Renal and Urologic Drugs
Unit 17: Reproductive and Gender-Related Drugs
Unit 18: Sexually Transmitted Infections
Linda E. McCuistion, PhD, MSN, Retired Nursing Professor, University of Holy Cross,New Orleans, Louisiana, Kathleen Vuljoin DiMaggio, MSN, RN, Assistant Professor of Nursing,University of Holy Cross,New Orleans, Louisiana, Mary B. Winton, PhD, RN, ACANP-BC, Assistant Professor,Tarleton State University,Stephenville, Texas and Jennifer J. Yeager, PhD, RN, Assistant Professor,Tarleton State University ,Stephenville, Texas