Basic Geriatric Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 8th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Help your students learn to provide compassionate, professional nursing care for older adults! Designed for LPN/LVNs, Basic Geriatric Nursing, 8th Edition offers a practical introduction to concepts of aging and the physiologic and psychosocial changes that affect the elderly adult. Clear guidelines help students master basic skills such as health assessment, nursing diagnosis, therapeutic communication, medication administration, and nursing interventions in a variety of health care settings. New Next-Generation NCLEX® examination-style case studies help in developing clinical judgment, and nursing care plans show how to apply theory to practice. With this text, students will gain the knowledge and skills needed to care for an aging population.
- Learning features in each chapter include objectives, key terms with phonetic pronunciations, basic concepts, and clinical application, all connected by case examples and a relevant research study or analysis of multiple studies.
- Nursing Process sections provide a framework for nursing care of older adults as related to specific disorders.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination! sections include key points, additional learning resources, and NCLEX review questions with answers and rationales on the Evolve website.
- Nursing Care Plans provide real-world examples of care plans along with critical thinking questions.
- Nursing interventions are grouped by health care setting, e.g., acute care, extended care, home care.
- Clinical Situation boxes highlight real-life care scenarios.
- Coordinated Care boxes address leadership and management issues for the LPN/LVN, and include topics such as restraints and end-of-life care.
- Critical Thinking boxes help you develop and improve skills in clinical judgment.
- Special boxes are included for health promotion, safety, nurse alerts, patient education, cultural considerations, home health considerations, complementary health approaches, and more.
- Medication tables summarize information about drugs commonly used in geriatric nursing.
- NEW! Next-Generation NCLEX® examination-style case studies at the end of chapters include new-format questions to help you prepare for the licensure examination.
- NEW! Discussion of the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model helps you learn decision making and develop the skills needed to plan effective nursing care.
- NEW! Free Study Guide on the Evolve website includes Next-Generation case studies and review questions to reinforce your understanding.
Unit One Overview of Aging
Chapter 1 Trends and Issues
Chapter 2 Theories of Aging
Chapter 3 Physiologic Changes
Unit Two Basic Skills for Gerontologic Nursing
Chapter 4 Health Promotion, Health Maintenance, and Home Health Considerations
Chapter 5 Communicating with Older Adults
Chapter 6 Maintaining Fluid Balance and Meeting Nutrition Needs
Chapter 7 Medications and Older Adults
Chapter 8 Health Assessment for Older Adults
Chapter 9 Meeting Safety Needs of Older Adults
Unit Three Psychosocial Care of the Elderly
Chapter 10 Cognition and Perception
Chapter 11 Self-Perception and Self-Concept
Chapter 12 Roles and Relationships
Chapter 13 Coping and Stress
Chapter 14 Values and Beliefs
Chapter 15 End-of-Life Care
Chapter 16 Sexuality and Aging
Unit Four Physical Care of the Elderly
Chapter 17 Care of Aging Skin and Mucous Membranes
Chapter 18 Elimination
Chapter 19 Activity and Exercise
Chapter 20 Sleep and Rest
Appendix A Laboratory Values for Older Adults
Appendix B The Geriatric Depression Scale
Appendix C Daily Nutritional Goals for Older Adults
Appendix D Resources for Older Adults
Patricia A. Williams, MSN, RN, CCRN, Former Nursing Educator,University of California Medical Center,San Francisco, California,Alumnus, iSAGE Mini Fellowship Program,Successful Aging Project Stanford University Medical School Stanford, California