Mastering Healthcare Terminology - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Help students master the terminology they need to communicate clearly and confidently in the healthcare setting! Using small learning segments or "chunks," Mastering Healthcare Terminology, 7th Edition makes it easy to learn medical terms and definitions. Concepts and terms are immediately followed by exercises to reinforce and assess student understanding. Organizing terminology by body system, the text covers prefixes, suffixes, and word roots, and realistic case studies help students apply their knowledge to practice. Special boxes provide alerts to terminology pitfalls. Ideal for programs that do not need heavy coverage of A&P, this book includes an Evolve website with medical animations, flash cards, quizzes, word games, and more.
- Frequent word part and word building exercises reinforce your understanding with immediate opportunities for practice and review.
- Pathology and diagnostic terminology tables summarize the phonetic pronunciation of terms, word origin, and definitions.
- Case studies provide an opportunity to see terminology in use.
- Be Careful boxes remind you of potentially confusing look-alike or sound-alike word parts and terms.
- Age Matters boxes highlight important concepts and terminology for both pediatric and geriatric patients.
- Labeling exercises and hundreds of illustrations help you learn anatomy and the accompanying combining forms.
- Focus On boxes put it all together by highlighting a disorder or procedure that uses the medical terminology presented throughout the chapter.
- Coverage of electronic medical records prepares you for using EHR in the healthcare setting.
- Evolve website includes medical animations, electronic flash cards, quizzes, and word games such as Tournament of Terminology, Medical Millionaire, and Match the Word Part.
- NEW! Point of Interest boxes offer a complete picture of selected diseases and procedures.
- NEW gradable activities are added to the Evolve website for this edition.
- NEW terms and photos keep you up to date with advances in healthcare.
PART I BASIC TERMINOLOGY
1 Introduction to Healthcare Terminology
2 Body Structure and Directional Terminology
PART II BODY SYSTEM TERMINOLOGY
3 Musculoskeletal System
4 Integumentary System
5 Gastrointestinal System
6 Urinary System
7 Male Reproductive System
8 Female Reproductive System and Pregnancy
9 Blood, Lymphatic, and Immune Systems
10 Cardiovascular System
11 Respiratory System
12 Nervous System
13 Eye and Ear
14 Endocrine System
PART III SPECIALTY TERMINOLOGY
15 Mental and Behavioral Health
Betsy J. Shiland, MS, RHIA, CCS, CHDA, CPC, CPB, CPPM, Former Assistant Professor, Allied Health Department, Community College of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania