Workbook for Fundamental Concepts and Skills for the Patient Care Technician, 2nd Edition
Use this workbook to review and practice the skills performed by patient care technicians! The essential companion to Fundamental Concepts and Skills for the Patient Care Technician, 2nd Edition, this study guide uses a variety of exercises, activities, and review questions to help you get the most out of your textbook. Procedure checklists help you practice and gain confidence with the skills in the text, and critical thinking activities let you apply content to practice. It’s the study tool you need to prepare for Patient Care Technician or Nursing Assistant Certification exams!
- Variety of exercises includes matching, multiple-choice, short answer, fill-in-the-blank, and true/false questions to reinforce and enhance your understanding.
- Critical thinking activities help you develop clinical judgment and prepare for practice.
- Procedure checklists make it easier to practice patient care skills.
- NEW exercises cover the textbook’s new chapter on medication administration.
- NEW review content is included on NG and gastric tubes, oral suctioning, incentive spirometry, use of a bladder scanner, and inserting peripheral IVs.
1 Today ’s Healthcare
2 The Role of the Patient Care Technician
3 Professionalism and Work Ethics
4 Communicating with the Healthcare Team
5 Understanding the Patient as a Person
6 Patient Rights, Ethics, and Laws
7 Body Structure and Function/Growth and Development
8 Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep
9 Asepsis and Infection Control
10 Workplace Safety and Body Mechanics
11 Patient Safety
12 Moving, Positioning, and Preventing Falls
13 Basic Emergency Care
14 Assisting with the Physical Examination
15 Measuring and Recording Vital Signs
16 Obtaining and Monitoring an Electrocardiogram
17 Assisting with Admissions and Discharge
18 Bedmaking and Hygiene
19 Assisting with Grooming
20 Assisting with Medication Administration
21 Assisting with Nutrition and Fluids
22 Assisting with Urinary Elimination
23 Assisting with Bowel Elimination
24 Assisting with Oxygen Needs
25 Blood Collecting and Processing
26 Specimen Collecting and Testing
27 Care for the Surgical Patient
28 Heat and Cold Applications
29 Care of Wounds and Pressure Ulcers
30 Rehabilitative and Restorative Care
31 Care of Women and Children
32 Caring for the Older Adult
33 Caring for Patients with Mental Health Needs
34 Caring for Patients with Chronic Conditions
35 End-of-Life Care
Answerkeys are available online
Kimberly Townsend, PhD, RN, WHNP-BC, CNE, Former Chair of the Graduate Nursing Program at Liberty University.