Fundamental Concepts and Skills for the Patient Care Technician - Elsevier eBook on VST, 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Master the skills you need to succeed as a patient care technician! Fundamental Concepts and Skills for the Patient Care Technician, 2nd Edition provides a solid foundation in healthcare principles and in the procedures performed by PCTs and other health professionals. Coverage of skills includes patient hygiene, infection control, taking vital signs, moving and positioning of patients, blood and specimen collecting and testing, ECG placement and monitoring, care of the surgical patient, care of older adults, and more. Clear, step-by-step instructions help you learn each procedure, and may also be used as skills checklists. Written by nursing educator Kimberly Townsend Little, this text prepares students for success on Patient Care Technician or Nursing Assistant Certification exams.
- More than 100 step-by-step skills and procedures cover the information found on the Nursing Assistant and Patient Care Technician certification exams.
- Practice Scenarios present realistic case studies with questions to help you practice critical thinking and apply concepts to the practice setting.
- Delegation and Documentation boxes cover the information needed from the nurse before a procedure and what information should be recorded after the procedure.
- Illness and Injury Prevention boxes highlight important safety issues.
- Chapter review questions test your understanding of important content.
- Chapter summaries emphasize key points to remember.
- Chapter objectives and key terms outline the important concepts and essential terminology in each chapter.
- NEW! A chapter on medication administration is added to this edition.
- NEW! New content is included on NG and gastric tubes, oral suctioning, incentive spirometry, use of a bladder scanner, and inserting peripheral IVs.
- NEW! Updated guidelines include CPR and dietary guidelines.
Unit 1: Introduction to Health Care
Ch. 1 Today’s Health Care
Ch. 2 The Role of the Patient Care Technician
Ch. 3 Professionalism and Work Ethics
Ch. 4 Communicating with the Health Care Team
Unit 2: The Patient
Ch. 5 Understanding the Patient as a Person
Ch. 6 Patient Rights, Ethics and Laws
Ch. 7 Body Structure and Function/Growth and Development
Ch. 8 Pain Management, Comfort, Rest, and Sleep
Unit 3: Safety
Ch. 9 Asepsis and Infection Control
Ch. 10 Workplace Safety and Body Mechanics
Ch. 11 Patient Safety
Ch. 12 Moving, Positioning, and Preventing Falls
Ch. 13 Basic Emergency Care
Ch. 14 Medication Administration (NEW)
Unit 4: Patient Assessment
Ch. 15 Assisting with the Physical Examination
Ch. 165 Measuring and Recording Vital Signs
Ch. 17 Obtaining and Monitoring an Electrocardiogram
Unit 5: Patient Care and Comfort
Ch. 18 Assisting with Admissions and Discharge
Ch. 19 Bedmaking and Hygiene
Ch. 20 Assisting with Grooming
Ch. 21 Assisting with Nutrition and Fluids
Ch. 22 Assisting with Urinary Elimination
Ch. 23 Assisting with Bowel Elimination
Ch. 24 Assisting with Oxygen Needs
Unit 6: Blood and Specimen Collecting and Testing
Ch. 25 Blood Collecting and Processing
Ch. 26 Specimen Collecting and Testing
Unit 7: Surgery and Immobility
Ch. 27 Care of the Surgical Patient
Ch. 28 Heat and Cold Applications
Ch. 29 Care of Wounds and Pressure Ulcers
Ch. 30 Rehabilitative and Restorative Care
Unit 8: Special Care Concerns and Settings
Ch. 31 Care of Women and Children
Ch. 32 Caring for the Older Adult
Ch. 33 Caring for Patients with Mental Health Needs
Ch. 34 Caring for of the Patients with Chronic Conditions
Ch. 35 End-of-Life Care
Kimberly Townsend, PhD, RN, WHNP-BC, CNE, Former Chair of the Graduate Nursing Program at Liberty University.