Health and Health Care Delivery in Canada Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Give your students the big picture on the past, present, and future of the Canadian health care system! The only text of its kind, Health and Health Care Delivery in Canada, 4th Edition helps to prepare students for careers as health care professionals in Canada. Content includes topics such as population health initiatives, the determinants of health, the role of federal agencies and provincial governments, health care funding, and issues and trends in health care. Case Examples and Thinking It Through questions guide students through the intersection of individual health and the health care system. Designed for first-year health care students, this book is ideal for all Canadian students beginning a career in nursing or the health professions.
- Comprehensive approach features an engaging, easy-to-understand, personal writing style.
- Thinking It Through questions ask you to explore personal views and critically consider the aspects of health and health care delivery.
- Case Examples provide real-world scenarios related to the chapter topics.
- Did You Know? boxes present facts, points of interest, and actual health care situations.
- Chapter Summaries cover the chapter’s key takeaways.
- Review questions at the end of every chapter test your comprehension of the material.
- Key Terms open each chapter.
- NEW! Completely updated content is included in Thinking It Through, Did You Know? and Case Example feature boxes.
- NEW! Content on Indigenous health includes the pre-colonial history of health care in Canada as well as post-colonial policies affecting Indigenous populations.
- NEW! Issues of inclusion and inequality vis-à-vis the Social Determinants of Health are threaded throughout the book.
- NEW! Coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic includes its impact on health care spending, social inequality, quarantine powers, public health, and the rights of the individual.
1. The History of Health Care in Canada
2. The Role of the Federal Government in Health Care
3. The Role of Provincial and Territorial Governments in Health Care
4. The Dollars and “Sense” of Health Care Funding
5. Practitioners and Workplace Settings
6. Essentials of Population Health in Canada
7. Health and the Individual
8. The Law and Health Care
9. Ethics and Health Care
10. Current Issues and Emerging Trends in Canadian Health Care
Valerie D. Thompson, RN, PHC, NP Primary Care, Former Professor ,School of Health & Life Sciences and Community Services.
Professor/Coordinator,Health Office Administration Programme,School of Business and Hospitality,Conestoga Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning,Kitchener, ON