Laboratory Manual for Physical Examination and Health Assessment, Canadian Edition - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 4th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Reinforce your students’ understanding of essential examination and assessment skills and further develop their clinical judgement! As both a comprehensive lab manual and a practical workbook the Study Guide & Laboratory Manual for Physical Examination & Health Assessment, 4th Canadian Edition provides students with activities and resources to enhance hands-on learning of physical examination skills. It features reading assignments corresponding to the text, terminology reviews, application activities, review questions, clinical learning objectives, documentation sheets, and narrative summary forms, with answers on the companion Evolve website to facilitate both learning and review. Electronic health record and evidence-informed practice materials further improve upon skills.
- Consistent chapter format includes the following sections: Purpose, Reading Assignment, Glossary, Study Guide, and Review Questions including clinical judgement. Core body systems chapters also include a Skills Laboratory/Clinical Setting section, including Clinical Objectives, Instructions, and a regional Documentation sheet to be completed.
- Chapters correspond one-to-one with chapters in the textbook to provide essential review and guidance for clinical laboratory experiences.
- Critical thinking exercises included in many chapters offer suggested readings based on student participation in the skills lab and discussions with instructor.
- Audio-visual assignments with related Critical Thinking Questions tie the visual video demonstrations of specific examination procedures to practical applications in the skills lab.
- Coverage of the electronic health record, charting, and narrative recording gives students examples of how to document assessment findings.
- Anatomy labelling exercises visually reinforce the identification of key anatomy and physiology.
- Study guide activities reinforce key assessment information through short-answer, fill-in-the-blank, and labelling exercises.
- Reading assignments correspond to the text chapters to foster integration of the text and laboratory manual.
- Documentation Sheets allow students and faculty to assess knowledge with forms used in the skills lab or clinical setting.
- Current RN and PN competencies are reflected throughout to help students better prepare for licensure examinations.
- Review questions — short answer, matching, multiple choice — provide learning activities in a variety of approaches.
- Narrative Summary Forms reflect the charting format used for narrative accounts of the history and physical examination findings.
- Glossary promotes learning and understanding of essential terminology.
- Answer key on the companion Evolve website includes answers to all questions.
- NEW! Preface includes an overview of the NCSBN® Clinical Judgement Measurement Model, PN competencies, and the REx-PN®.
- NEW! Clinical judgement exercises equip students for success on the Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN), including questions with an increased focus on clinical judgement.
- Updated content throughout corresponds to the 4th Canadian edition of the textbook and incorporates the latest research and evidence-informed practice.
UNIT 1 ASSESSMENT OF THE WHOLE PERSON
1 Critical Thinking and Evidence-Informed Assessment
2 Health Promotion in the Context of Health Assessment
3 A Relational Approach to Cultural and Social Considerations in Health Assessment
4 The Interview
5 The Complete Health History
6 Mental Health Assessment
7 Substance Use and Health Assessment
8 Interpersonal Violence and Health Assessment
UNIT 2 APPROACH TO THE CLINICAL SETTING
9 Assessment Techniques and the Clinical Setting
10 General Survey, Measurement, and Vital Signs
11 Pain Assessment
12 Nutritional Assessment and Nursing Practice
UNIT 3 PHYSICAL EXAMINATION
13 Skin, Hair, and Nails
14 Head, Face, and Neck, Including Regional Lymphatic System
17 Nose, Mouth, and Throat
18 Breasts and Regional Lymphatic System
19 Thorax and Lungs
20 Heart and Neck Vessels
21 Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatic System
22 The Abdomen
23 Anus, Rectum, and Prostate
24 Musculo-Skeletal System
25 Neurological System
26 Male Genitourinary System
27 Female Genitourinary System
UNIT 4 INTEGRATION OF THE HEALTH ASSESSMENT
28 The Complete Health Assessment: Putting It All Together
29 Bedside Assessment and Reporting
31 Assessment of the Older Adult
32 Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) Examination–Style Unfolding Case Studies
Answer Key—available on the text’s Evolve site
Carolyn Jarvis, PhD, APN, CNP, Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, Illinois Wesleyan University; Certified Nurse Practitioner (retired), Bloomington, Illinois, Ann L. Eckhardt, PhD, RN, Associate Chair of Clinical Education, College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Department of Graduate Nursing, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, Linda Van Pelt, NP-F, MScN, Assistant Professor & MScN FNP Program Coordinator School of Nursing University, of Northern British Columbia, Prince George, BC; Family Nurse Practitioner Northern Health Authority Prince George, BC and Lauren Irving, BScN, MN, NP-F, Senior Lab Instructor School of Nursing University of British Columbia Prince George, BC