Preparing for Doctoral Study in Nursing - Elsevier E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 1st Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Are your students ready to take their nursing careers to the next level? Preparing for Doctoral Study in Nursing: Making the Most of the Year Before You Begin helps students make an informed decision about entering doctoral studies and choosing the nursing credential that will help them reach their career goals. The first and only comprehensive guide to preparing for a doctorate in nursing, this practical resource will help students choose a path, make a decision, and develop a plan for success in doctoral study.
- Grounded in more than a decade of experience in preparing nurses for doctoral study, this one-of-a-kind text is the first comprehensive guide to the year before you apply.
- Fifteen chapters provide practical information and guidance to help you navigate the challenges on your journey.
- Historical overview of doctoral education in nursing creates a clear picture of present and future demand.
- Clear explanation of the different degrees and the careers they support helps to build confidence in your decision about which to pursue.
- Sixteen personal narratives describe a broad range of career paths open to nurses who earn doctoral degrees and introduce the nurse leaders who have walked them.
- Online Evolve Resources include podcasts that bring the experiences of contributing authors to life.
- Additional Evolve Resources include practical forms, worksheets, planners, and representations of models referenced in the text.
- Illustrations clarify complex content, helping to make it more memorable and useful, and links to additional online resources serve as a springboard for additional learning.
- The diversity of the contributors, backgrounds, interests, and accomplishments gives you a sense that you belong and that your authentic self will add value to our discipline and to global health.
- At once scholarly and warm, the style of this book makes it a must-read for nurses who aspire to careers of importance and leadership.
SECTION 1 The Big Picture of Nurses Educated at the Highest Level
1 The Demand for the Doctorally Prepared Nurse
2 The Story of the Doctorally Prepared Nurse
3 Building Nursing for the Future
4 Reflection on Challenges: The Nursing Workforce Shortage
SECTION 2 Choosing Your Path, Making Your Decision, and Developing Your Plan
5 Clarifying Your Options
6 Clarifying Your Aspirations
7 Common Impediments to Success
8 Mentoring for the Next Generation of Nurse Scholars
9 Understanding and Managing Expenses: Financing Your Education
10 Presenting a Strong and Authentic Application
11 Using Timely Wisely and Well
12 Becoming a Write
13 Determining Good Fit
14 Staying Motivated, Confident, and Well Focused as a Doctoral Student
SECTION 3 Shared Experiences of Doctorally Prepared Nurses on the Edge of Tomorrow
15 The Nurse Scientist Narrative
16 The Primary Care DNP Narrative
17 The Entrepreneur Narrative
18 The Postdoc Narrative
19 The Academic Narratives
20 The Nurse Informatician Narratives
21 The Population Health Nurse Narratives
22 The Policy Expert Narrative
23 The Nurse on the Board Narrative
24 The Leader Narrative
25 The Advocate Narrative
26 The Military Nurse Narratives
27 The Systems Executive Narrative
28 The Telehealth Nurse Narrative
29 The Researcher Nurse Narratives
30 The Health Disparities Nurse Narrative
31 The Practice Nurse Narratives
32 The Psychiatric Mental Health Clinician Narrative
SECTION 4 A Toolkit for Preparation for Doctoral Study
33 Tools for the Journey
Laura A. Taylor, PhD, RN, ANEF, FAAN, Professor and Program Director, Adult Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist Program, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland and Mary F. Terhaar, PhD, RN, ANEF, FAAN, Professor & Associate Dean for Graduate Programs,Fitzpatrick College of Nursing, Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania