Kinn's The Clinical Medical Assistant – Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 15th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
More than any other product on the market, the most successful medical assistants begin their careers with Kinn. Known for more than 65 years for its alignment with national curriculum standards, Kinn's The Clinical Medical Assistant: An Applied Learning Approach, 15th Edition teaches real-world clinical skills essential for a career in the modern medical office — always with a focus on helping students apply what they’ve learned. This edition features a new unit on advanced clinical skills and expanded content on telemedicine, infection control related to COVID-19, IV therapy, radiology, rehabilitation, and much more. With its approachable writing style appropriate for all levels of learners and a full continuum of separately sold adaptive solutions, real-world simulations, EHR documentation experience, and HESI remediation and assessment, your students will effectively master the leading clinical skills of modern medical assisting.
- Step-by-step, illustrated procedures include rationales and a focus on professionalism.
- Electronic health record (EHR) coverage provides access to hands-on activities using SimChart® for the Medical Office (sold separately).
- Applied learning approach incorporates threaded case scenarios and critical thinking applications.
- Patient education and legal and ethical features at the end of each chapter reinforce legal and communications implications within medical assisting practice.
- Key vocabulary terms and definitions are presented at the beginning of each chapter, highlighted in text discussions, and summarized in a glossary for handy reference.
- Robust Evolve companion website offers procedure videos, practice quizzes, mock certification exams, and interactive learning exercises.
- NEW! Content aligns to 2022 Medical Assisting educational competencies, with comprehensive coverage of clinical skills.
- NEW! Advanced Clinical Skills unit features three new chapters on IV therapy, radiology basics, and radiology positioning to support expanded medical assisting functions.
- NEW! Coverage of telemedicine, enhanced infection control related to COVID-19, and catheterization.
- NEW! Artwork focused on assisting with imaging, IVs, and catheters, along with updated equipment photos.
- NEW! Procedures address IV therapy, limited-scope radiography, applying a sling, and coaching for stool collection.
- EXPANDED! Information on physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- EXPANDED! Content on specimen collection, including wound swab, nasal, and nasopharyngeal specimen collections.
PART 1 – Introduction to Medical Assisting
1. The Professional Medical Assistant and the Healthcare Team
2. Health Records
3. Introduction to Anatomy and Medical Terminology
PART 2 – Fundamentals of Clinical Medical Assisting
4. Infection Control
5. Vital Signs
6. Physical Examination
7. Patient Coaching
8. Nutrition and Health Promotion
9. Surgical Supplies and Instruments
10. Assisting with Surgical Procedures
11. Principles of Electrocardiography
12. Medical Emergencies
PART 3 – Assisting with Medications
13. Principles of Pharmacology
14. Pharmacology Math
15. Administering Medications
PART 4 – Assisting with Medical Specialties
16. Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology
18. Allergy and Infectious Disease
20. Orthopedics and Rheumatology
21. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
23. Behavioral Health
27. Urology and Male Reproduction
28. Obstetrics and Gynecology
PART 5 – Assisting with Clinical Laboratory Procedures
31. Introduction to the Clinical Laboratory
33. Blood Collection
34. Analysis of Blood
35. Microbiology and Immunology
PART 6 – Advanced Clinical Skills
36. NEW! Intravenous Therapy
37. NEW! Radiology Basics
38. NEW! Positioning for Radiology
PART 10 – Job Seeking
39. Employment Skills and Strategies
Brigitte Niedzwiecki, RN, MSN, RMA, Medical Assistant Program Director & Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, Julie Pepper, BS, CMA (AAMA), Medical Assisting Program Instructor, Health Navigator Program Director, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin and P. Ann Weaver, MSEd, MT(ASCP), Medical Assistant Instructor, Chippewa Valley Technical College, Eau Claire, Wisconsin