Saunders Nursing Drug Handbook 2024 - Elsevier E-Book on VitalSource, 1st Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
With this easy-to-use handbook, nursing students will learn to provide safe and effective drug therapy! Saunders Nursing Drug Handbook 2024 provides current, detailed information on more than 1,000 generic and 4,000 trade name drugs. This handy, user-friendly guide includes updated uses, dosage forms, warnings, side effects and adverse reactions, IV drug administration, nursing considerations, and much more. Organized alphabetically by generic drug name for quick reference, this book stands out from the others in guiding the nurse through the steps essential to quality patient care. New drug monographs cover 12 new FDA-approved medications!
- More than 1,000 generic name drugs, encompassing over 4,000 trade name drugs, are organized alphabetically with A-to-Z tabs for quick and easy access.
- UNIQUE! Herbal information is included in the appendix and on the Evolve website, covering the interactions and effects of commonly encountered herbs.
- Detailed information for each drug includes side effects listed by frequency, and adverse effects and reactions requiring prompt intervention.
- Drugs by Disorder are listed in the front of the book for easy reference, showing common disorders and the drugs most often used for treatment.
- Drug Classifications section features an overview of actions and uses for drug families.
- Black Box Alerts and High Alert drugs are highlighted to promote safe administration of drugs that pose the greatest risk for patient harm, and Do Not Confuse With warnings call out drug names that sound alike or look alike.
- Top 100 Drugs list helps you easily identify the most frequently administered drugs.
- Cross-references to the 400 top U.S. brand-name drugs are located throughout the book for easy access.
- List of newly approved medications in the front of the book makes it easy to locate the latest drugs.
- Nursing considerations are organized in a functional nursing process framework and include baseline assessment, intervention/evaluation, and patient/family teaching.
- Information on lifespan and disorder-related dosage variations covers special considerations for pediatric, geriatric, hepatic, and immune- or renal-compromised patients.
- Extensive IV content includes IV compatibilities/IV incompatibilities and breaks down key information on reconstitution, rate of administration, and storage, as well as an IV Compatibility Chart foldout covering 65 intravenous drugs.
- Customizable and printable monographs for 100 of the most commonly used drugs are located on Evolve.
- NEW! Drug monographs for 12 new FDA-approved medications equip you with the most current drug information.
- NEW! Updates include uses, dosage forms, interactions, precautions, and other need-to-know information to help prevent medication dispensing errors.
DRUGS BY DISORDER
A–Z DRUG ENTRIES
A. Correct Use of Oral Inhalers for Asthma and COPD
B. Wound Care
C. Drugs of Abuse
D. Herbals: Common Natural Medicines
E. Lifespan, Cultural Aspects, and Pharmacogenomics of Drug Therapy
F. Normal Laboratory Values
G. Drug Interactions
H. Antidote/Reversal Agents
I. Preventing Medication Errors and Improving Medication Safety
J. Parenteral Fluid Administration
K. Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE)
Robert J. Kizior, BS, RPh, Education Coordinator, Department of Pharmacy, Alexian Brothers Medical Center, Elk Grove Village, IL, USA and Keith Hodgson, RN, BSN, CCRN