The Definitive Guide to the OSCE - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource Technology, 1st Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
- This book provides a full understanding of the basic concepts underpinning the OSCE and shows how to implement an OSCE effectively and efficiently in a variety of contexts.
- It includes case studies demonstrating the use of the OSCE in practice in a range of different fields.
- Practical guidelines and tips are provided based on the authors’ extensive experience.
An introduction to the Objective Structured Clinical Examination
- What is an OSCE?
- The inside story of the development of the OSCE
- The OSCE as the gold standard for performance assessment
- How the OSCE can contribute to the education programme
- What is assessed in an OSCE?
Implementation of an OSCE
- Choosing a format for an OSCE
- The setting for an OSCE
- The patient
- The examiner
- Implementing an OSCE
- Evaluating the examinee’s performance
- Providing feedback to the learner
- The examinee’s perspective
- Evaluating an OSCE
- Costs and implementing an OSCE with limited resources
Some final thoughts
- Limitations of the OSCE
- Conclusions and looking to the future
Examples of the use of the OSCE in different settings and contexts: case studies
Ronald M. Harden, OBE MD FRCP(Glas) FRCSEd FRCPC, Professor (Emeritus) Medical Education, University of Dundee, UK, Editor Medical Teacher, Pat Lilley, BA (Hons), Operations Director, AMEE - An International Association for Medical Education; Managing Editor, Medical Teacher and Madalena Patricio, PhD, Professor of Education,Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon, Portugal.