The Practice of Chinese Medicine, 3rd Edition
Teach students how to use Traditional Chinese Medicine in diagnosing and treating disease! Maciocia’s The Practice of Chinese Medicine, 3rd Edition describes how to apply TCM theory to the diagnosis and treatment of disorders and conditions frequently encountered in practice. Covering common, chronic, and acute conditions, Maciocia’s provides guidelines to treatment with both acupuncture and Chinese herbs. Case studies offer real-world insights into determining effective treatment care. From an expert team of editors who were close to the late Giovanni Maciocia and who practice "the Maciocia way," this practical, illustrated text makes it easier to apply TCM in Western medical practice.
- Coverage of Traditional Chinese Medicine includes the diagnosis and treatment of 48 common diseases, conditions, and disorders.
- Discussion of aetiology, pathology, and differential diagnoses according to TCM is provided for each disease, condition, and disorder.
- UNIQUE! Summaries of Western differential diagnoses provide alternative treatment options.
- Coverage of treatments includes acupuncture and herbs, with explanations of choices.
- Reviews of clinical trials and modern Chinese literature report the experience of noted doctors of Chinese medicine.
- Practical appendices include Identification of Patterns According to the Six Stages, the Four Levels, and the Three Burners; Prescriptions; and Suggested Substitutions of Chinese Herbs.
- English-Pinyin Glossary of Chinese Terms is included.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Clinical Tips provide practical guidelines to diagnosing and treating diseases.
- NEW and UNIQUE! Red Flags list symptoms that may necessitate a referral to a Western physician.
- NEW! Updated clinical trials and references are added.
- NEW! Updated Western differential diagnosis sections are added.
- NEW discussion on sexuality in Chinese medicine is added.
- NEW! Additional tongue photos aid in diagnosing diseases, based on Chinese medicine protocols.
- NEW! Updated, full-color photos are added.
- NEW! Four new appendices are added, for a total of 10 appendices.
- NEW! Reorganization of material provides easier access to key topics.
1. Abdominal Masses
2. Abdominal Pain
3. Acid Reflux (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
4. Allergic Rhinitis
6. Asthma (Allergic Asthma & Atopic Eczema)
7. Atrophy Syndrome
8. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
11. Chest Painful Obstruction Syndrome
12. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
13. Common Cold and Influenza
19. Emotions (The)
20. Enuresis and Incontinence
21. Epigastric Pain
22. Erectile Dysfunction
24. Goitre (Thyroid Problems)
27. Hypochondrial Pain
29. Interstitial Cystitis
30. Lower Back Ache
31. Mental-Emotional Problems – Aetiology
32. Mental-Emotional Problems – Diagnosis
33. Mental-Emotional Problems – Patterns and their Treatment
34. Mouth Ulcers
35. Multiple Sclerosis
37. Oedema (Edema)
38. Painful Obstruction Syndrome
39. Parkinson’s Disease
41. Psyche (The) in Chinese Medicine
45. Urinary Retention
46. Urinary Syndrome
Appendix 1: Identification of Patterns According to the Six Stages
Appendix 2: Identification of Patterns According to the Four Levels
Appendix 3: Identification of Patterns According to the Three Burners
Appendix 4: Discussion of the Triple Burner
Appendix 5: Shen, Yi, Shi, and Needling in the Nei Jing
Appendix 6: Sexuality in Chinese Medicine
Appendix 7: Prescriptions
Appendix 8: Suggested Substitutions of Chinese Herbs
Appendix 9: Integration of Herbal Medicine with Acupuncture
Appendix 10: Tongue Gallery
English-Pinyin Glossary of Chinese Terms
Pinyin-English Glossary of Chinese Terms
Chronology of Chinese Dynasties