Real World Nursing Survival Guide: IV Therapy, 1st Edition
Most review copies are eBooks – how fast!
A review copy request is most likely to be fulfilled as an eBook on VitalSource rather than a print product, unless no eBook is available. eBooks become available in as little as a few hours. Print products will take between 7 and 10 days to arrive. To request a print copy, please contact the Evolve Support Center
or your Education Solutions Consultant
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and you will not be charged until the item ships.
- Narrows the gap between the facts learned in school and the wisdom that nurses need to survive in the real world.
- Material is presented in a clear and entertaining way by using adult learning principles and various active-learning strategies to engage nursing students of all ages, backgrounds, and learning styles.
- Consistent headings divide information into manageable units and reinforce a logical learning strategy.
- Icons for lifespan considerations, cultural implications, web links, caution/danger, and calculations help the reader identify special content in the chapter.
- Memory-reinforcing mnemonic devices and a variety of interactive activities promote learning.
- Clinical terms and shorthand expressions are highlighted in parentheses and another color after the layperson's explanation expose students to terminology that they will hear in the hospital setting.
- Boxed "Take Home Points" offer succinct points of advice that reflect years of nursing experience that students can use to prepare for their clinical rotation.
- A full-color insert illustrates concepts and principles of IV therapy, including illustrations of various complications.
- NCLEX-style questions are referenced by chapter and provided in a convenient 2-column format with answers and rationales that can be covered with a flap on the back cover.
- Features original cartoon illustrations and a theme monkey cartoon character that walks the student through difficult subjects with a light-hearted, engaging approach to learning.
- Separate chapters on pediatric and older adult patients discuss important age-related considerations associated with IV therapy.
- Includes a chapter on one of the fastest growing fields in nursing — community care — and how it affects nurses, patients requiring IV therapy, and their caretakers.
1. Equipment and Infusion Regulation Devices
2. Principles of Peripheral Venous Therapy
3. Peripheral Complications
4. Principles of Central Venous Therapy
5. Central Complications
6. The Pediatric Patient
7. The Older Adult Patient
8. Community-Based Infusion Therapy
Denise Macklin, RNC, BSN, CRNI, President, Professional Learning Systems, Inc., Marietta, GA and Cynthia C. Chernecky, PhD, RN, CNS, AOCN, FAAN, Professor, Department of Physiological and Technological Nursing, School of Nursing, Georgia Health Sciences University, Augusta, GA