Brinker, Piermattei and Flo's Handbook of Small Animal Orthopedics and Fracture Repair, 5th Edition
Help your students discover the technical solution to any musculoskeletal case they may encounter in daily practice with Brinker, Piermattei, and Flo’s Handbook of Small Animal Orthopedics and Fracture Repair, 5th Edition. This trusted handbook is the expert reference they need to successfully understand, diagnose, and treat the wide variety of conditions affecting the locomotor system in small animals. As with previous editions, this comprehensive handbook offers students a clear and consistent description of the most common orthopedic conditions along with the pathology, diagnostic work-up, surgical indications and planning, surgical approach, surgical techniques, complications, and follow-up recommendations that accompany them. This new edition also includes the latest information on fractures, musculoskeletal diseases, and the advances in methods of fixation, lameness correction, and joint surgery. Not only will students gain access to routinely used orthopedic treatments — such as plating, wiring, and pinning techniques — this handbook also discusses the more complex modalities — like bone grafting, reconstructive joint surgery, and osteochondrosis. With this unrivaled reference, students will have the expert guidance they need to successfully diagnose and treat nearly any musculoskeletal case they may encounter in daily practice.
- Clear, concise coverage covers the pathology, diagnostic work-up, surgical indications and planning, surgical approach, surgical techniques, complications, and follow-up recommendations for the most common orthopedic conditions.
- Step-by-step line drawings clearly illustrate different types of fractures and demonstrate the surgical procedures used to affect repairs – detail that can’t be conveyed in clinical photographs.
- Anatomical organization provides quick access to information on both fractures and other conditions for each region of the body.
- NEW! Advances in joint surgeries, specifically the knee, shoulder, and elbow, keep practitioners abreast of the latest technology and best practices.
- NEW! Coverage of minimally invasive surgery has been added to the many chapters.
- NEW! Advances in imaging (MRI, CT, and radiographs) are included to keep practitioners up to date on the latest technology.
- Updates on new fixation technologies include angle stable interlocking nails and locking plate fracture fixation systems.
- Updates on common surgeries include triple pelvic osteotomy and total hip replacement
- NEW! High-definition clinical photographs have been added to give readers a closer view of various fractures and repair techniques.
Part I: Diagnosis and Treatment of Fractures, Lameness and Joint Disease 1. Orthopedic Examination and Diagnostic Tools 2. Fractures: Classification, Diagnosis, and Treatment 3. Bone Grafting 4. Delayed Union and Nonunion 5. Treatment of Acute and Chronic Bone Infections 6. Arthrology 7. Principles of Joint Surgery 8. Arthroscopy in Joint Surgery
Part II: Fractures and Orthopedic Conditions of the Forelimb 9. Fractures of the Scapula 10. The Shoulder Joint 11. Fractures of the Humerus 12. The Elbow Joint 13. Fractures of the Radius and Ulna 14. Fractures and Other Orthopedic Conditions of the Carpus, Metacarpus, and Phalanges
Part III: Fractures and Orthopedic Conditions of the Hindlimb 15. Fractures of the Pelvis 16. The Hip Joint 17. Fractures of the Femur and Patella 18. The Stifle Joint 19. Fractures of the Tibia and Fibula 20. Fractures and Other Orthopedic Injuries of the Tarsus, Metatarsus, and Phalanges
Part IV: Other Fractures and Reconstruction of Bone Deformity 21. Fractures and Luxations of the Mandible and Maxilla 22. Fractures in Growing Animals 23. Correction of Abnormal Bone Growth and Healing
Part V: Miscellaneous Conditions of the Musculoskeletal System 24. Disease Conditions in Small Animals
Charles E. DeCamp, DVM, Michigan State University, Veterinary Medical Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, East Lansing, Michigan