Fundamentals of Molecular Diagnostics - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card),
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Or $0.00 with a valid access code
This item has low stock levels and may be back-ordered. We'll let you know if it is back-ordered, and
you will not be charged until the item ships.
This book offers an introduction to the newest, fastest-growing field in laboratory science. Explaining and clarifying the molecular techniques used in diagnostic testing, this text provides both entry-level and advanced information. It covers the principles of molecular biology along with genomes and nucleic acid alterations, techniques and instrumentation, and applications of molecular diagnostics. Written by leading experts, including Patrick Bossuyt, Angela Caliendo, Rossa W.K. Chiu, Kojo S.J. Elenitoba-Johnson, Andrea Ferreira-Gonzalez, Amy Groszbach, Sultan Habeebu, Doris Haverstick, Malek Kamoun, Anthony Killeen, Noriko Kusukawa, Y.M. Dennis Lo, Elaine Lyon, Gwendolyn McMillin, Christopher Price, James Versalovic, Cindy Vnencak-Jones, Victor Weedn, Peter Wilding, Thomas Williams, and Carl Wittwer, this book includes illustrations, tables, and a colorful design to make information easy to find and easy to use.
Get the instant access version
- A full-color, 4-page insert shows realistic images of the output for many molecular tests.
- Learning Objectives open each chapter with an overview of what you should achieve.
- Key Words are listed and defined at the beginning of each chapter, and are bolded in the text.
- Review Questions at the end of every chapter let you measure your comprehension.
- Advanced Concepts are included, but set apart from the rest of the text, for students who want a higher level of learning.
- Ethics boxes address ethical issues, allowing you to apply your knowledge to real-life scenarios.
- A glossary of all key words may be easily accessed in the back of the book.
1. Principles of Molecular Biology
2. Genomes and Nucleic Acid Alterations
II. Techniques and Instrumentation
3. Specimen Collection and Processing
4. Nucleic Acid Isolation
5. Nucleic Acid Techniques
6. Miniaturization: DNA Chips and Devices
7. Design and Operation of a Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory
8. Introduction to Evidence-Based Molecular Diagnostics
9. Inherited Diseases
10. Identity Assessment
11. Molecular Methods in Diagnosis and Monitoring of Infectious Diseases
13. Molecular Genetics in Diagnosis of Human Cancers
14. Reference Information
Answers to Review Questions
David E. Bruns, MD, Professor of Pathology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Director of Clinical Chemistry and Associate Director of Molecular Diagnostics, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA, and Former Editor, Clinical Chemistry, Washington, DC, Edward R. Ashwood, MD, Professor of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, and President and CEO, ARUP Laboratories, Salt Lake City, UT and Carl A. Burtis, PhD, Health Services Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, and Clinical Professor of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT