The Practice of Nursing Research - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Equip your students to evaluate and synthesize research data, and to conduct their own original research! This authoritative text gives your students a comprehensive foundation for appraisal, synthesis, and generation of evidence for clinical nursing practice. This new edition features enhanced coverage of research methods most applicable to evidence-based practice (outcomes research, intervention research, and translational research), along with a significant increase in the coverage of qualitative research methodologies.
- Comprehensive coverage of nursing research organizes content into five units: Introduction to Nursing Research, Nursing Research Processes, Tools for Evidence-Based Healthcare, Strategies for Analyzing Research and Building an Evidence-Based Practice, and Writing Proposals and Obtaining Funding.
- Rich and frequent examples from the literature demonstrate the importance and immediacy of research in nursing practice and bring principles to life through the context of actual published studies.
- Strong coverage of quantitative and other clinically-applicable research methodologies gives you a solid grounding to conduct, appraise, and apply research evidence to the realities of clinical practice in today’s healthcare environment.
- NEW! Enhanced emphasis on evidence-based practice equips you to generate research evidence and to appraise and synthesize existing research for application to clinical practice. Using the ANCC Magnet Recognition Program criteria as a point of focus, this book prepares you for today’s emphasis on evidence-based practice in the clinical setting.
- NEW! Expanded emphasis on qualitative research addresses phenomenological research, grounded theory research, ethnographic research, exploratory-descriptive research, and historical research to support the development of nursing.
- NEW! Updated coverage of digital data collection guides you through use of the internet for research and addresses the unique considerations surrounding digital data collection methods.
- NEW! Pageburst ebook study guide gives you the opportunity to fully master and apply the text content in a convenient electronic format with integrated interactive review questions.
Unit One. Introduction to Nursing Research
1. Discovering the World of Nursing Research
2. Evolution of Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing
3. Introduction to Quantitative Research
4. Introduction to Qualitative Research
Unit Two. The Research Process
5. Research Problem and Purpose
6. Review of Relevant Literature
8. Objectives, Questions, Hypotheses, and Study Variables
9. Ethics in Research
10. Understanding Quantitative Research Design
11. Selecting a Quantitative Research Design
12. Qualitative Research Methodology
13. Outcomes Research
14. Intervention-Based Research
16. Measurement Concepts
17. Measurement Methods Used in Developing Evidence for Practice
Unit Three. Putting It All Together for Evidence-Based Health Care
18. Critical Appraisal of Nursing Studies
19. Evidence Synthesis and Strategies for Evidence-Based Practice
Unit Four: Analyzing Data, Determining Outcomes, and Disseminating Research
20. Collecting and Managing Data
21. Introduction to Statistical Analysis
22. Using Statistics to Describe Variables
23. Using Statistics to Examine Relationships
24. Using Statistics to Predict
25. Using Statistics to Determine Differences
26. Interpreting Research Outcomes
27. Disseminating Research Findings
Unit Five. Proposing and Seeking Funding for Research
28. Writing Research Proposals
29. Seeking Funding for Research
Jennifer R. Gray, PhD, RN, FAAN, George W. and Hazel M. Jay Professor, College of Nursing; Associate Dean and Chair, Department of MSN Administration, Education, and PhD Programs, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, Susan K. Grove, PhD, RN, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, Professor, College of Nursing, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas; Adult Nurse Practitioner, Family Practice, Grand Prairie, Texas and Nancy Burns, PhD, RN, FCN, FAAN, Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas; Faith Community Nurse, St. Matthew Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Burleson, Texas