Ethics and Law in Dental Hygiene - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 3rd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Give students a comprehensive look at the ethical and legal issues that dental hygienists commonly face with Ethics and Law in Dental Hygiene, 3rd Edition. Written by expert author, speaker, and educator Phyllis Beemsterboer, the new edition of this trusted resource uses even more real-world situations to clarify key concepts and incorporates timely content on alternative workforce models, the Affordable Care Act, professionalism, and more. Additional case studies and "testlets" provide students with more opportunities for application and critical thinking to help ensure NBDHE success.
- Real-world relevance of concepts helps you apply knowledge to everyday situations.
- Contributors are renowned leaders in dental hygiene education.
- Learning Outcomes and Key Terms at the beginning of each chapter provide a detailed list of the concepts to master.
- A new chapter, “Social Responsibility and Justice,” covers timely issues such as access to care and disparities in oral health care.
- More case studies – 25 total – cover a wide range of situations.
- The latest information on HIPAA policies is discussed, and the newly revised ADA and ADHA codes of ethics are printed in their entirety.
Section I — Ethics
1. Ethics and Professionalism
2. Ethical Theory and Philosophy
3. Ethical Principles and Values
4. Social Responsibility
5. Codes of Ethics
Appendix 5-1: American Dental Hygienists’ Association Code of Ethics for Dental Hygienists
6. Ethical Decision Making in Dental Hygiene and Dentistry
Section II — Law
7. Society and the State Dental Practice Act
8. Dental Hygienist–Patient Relationship
9. Dental Hygienist–Dentist-Employer Relationship
10. Risk Management
Section III — Simulations and Applications
Case Studies, Activities, and Testlets
Appendix A: American Dental Association Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct
Bibliography and Suggested Readings
Phyllis L. Beemsterboer, RDH, MS, EdD, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Professor of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR