Fundamental Concepts and Skills for Nursing - Elsevier eBook on Vitalsource,4th Edition
Part of the popular LPN Threads series, this market-leading text uses an easy-to-understand writing style and simple organization to present the concepts and skills students need to know to practice nursing in a variety of care settings. This new edition offers in-depth discussion of QSEN competencies, rationales for the NCLEX-PN review questions, and new icons to point out the most current evidence-based information.
- Standard LPN Threads features include helpful characteristics such as full-color design, key terms, numbered objectives, key points, critical thinking questions, critical thinking activities, glossary, and references.
- Easy-to-follow reading level and text organization presents information from simple to most complex.
- Think Critically boxes help you synthesize information and apply concepts beyond the scope of the chapter.
- Cultural Considerations related to biocultural variations as well as health promotion for specific ethnic groups demonstrate how to provide culturally competent care.
- Elder Care Points highlight changes that occur with aging and how they affect nursing care.
- Home Care boxes highlight the necessary adaptations of nursing skills and techniques for the patient in the home care setting.
- NEW! Rationales for NCLEX review questions at the end of each chapter help you understand why your choices were correct or incorrect.
- NEW! Full text reviews by experts in the field offer consistency and ease understanding as you progress through the book.
- NEW! Evolve margin icons denote supplemental material for students on Evolve.
- NEW! Evidence Based Practice margin icons point out the most current and evidence based information.
- NEW! In depth discussion of the Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) within the text provides the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to continuously improve the quality and safety of the healthcare systems.
Unit One: Introduction to Nursing and the Health Care System 1. Nursing and the Health Care System 2. Concepts of Health, Illness, and Health Promotion 3. Legal and Ethical Aspects of Nursing Unit Two: The Nursing Process 4. Overview of the Nursing Process and Critical Thinking 5. Assessment, Nursing Diagnosis, and Planning 6. Implementation and Evaluation Unit Three: Communication in Nursing 7. Documentation of Nursing Care 8. Communication and the Nurse-Patient Relationship 9. Patient Teaching 10. Delegation, Leadership, and Management Unit Four: Developmental, Psychosocial, and Cultural Considerations 11. Growth and Development: Infancy Through Adolescence 12. Adulthood and the Family 13. Promoting Healthy Adaptation to Aging 14. Cultural and Spiritual Aspects of Patient Care 15. Loss, Grief, and the Dying Patient Unit Five: Basic Nursing Skills 16. Infection Prevention and Control: Protective Mechanisms and Asepsis 17. Infection Prevention and Control in the Hospital and Home 18. Lifting, Moving, and Positioning Patients 19. Assisting with Hygiene, Personal Care, Skin Care, and the Prevention of Pressure Ulcers 20. Patient Environment and Safety 21. Measuring Vital Signs 22. Assessing Health Status 23. Admitting, Transferring, and Discharging Patients 24. Diagnostic Tests and Specimen Collection Unit Six: Meeting Basic Physiologic Needs 25. Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance 26. Concepts of Basic Nutrition and Cultural Considerations 27. Diet Therapy and Assisted Feeding 28. Assisting with Respiration and Oxygen Delivery 29. Promoting Urinary Elimination 30. Promoting Bowel Elimination 31. Pain, Comfort and Sleep 32. Complementary and Alternative Therapies Unit Seven: Medication Administration 33. Pharmacology and Preparation for Drug Administration 34. Administering Oral, Topical, and Inhalant Medications 35. Administering Intradermal, Subcutaneous, and Intramuscular Injections 36. Administering Intravenous Solutions and Medications Unit Eight: Care of the Surgical and Immobile Patient 37. Care of the Surgical Patient 38. Providing Wound Care and Treating Pressure Ulcers 39. Promoting Musculoskeletal Function Unit Nine: Caring for the Elderly 40. Common Physical Care Problems of the Elderly 41. Common Psychosocial Care Problems of the Elderly
Appendix A. ANA Standards of Nursing Practice
Appendix B. ANA Code of Ethics
Appendix C. NFLPN Code for Nurses
Appendix D. Standard Steps for All Nursing Procedures
Appendix E. Standard Precautions
Appendix F. Most Common Laboratory Test Values
Appendix G. Therapeutic Diets
Appendix H. Medical Terminology
Appendix I. Answers to NCLEX Examination-Style Review Questions
Susan C. deWit, MSN, RN, CNS, PHN, Formerly, Instructor of Nursing, El Centro College, Dallas, TX; and Allan Hancock College, Santa Maria, CA and Patricia A. Williams, RN, MSN, CCRN, Formerly, Nursing Educator
University of California Medical Center
San Francisco, California;
Alumnus, iSAGE Mini Fellowship Program
Successful Aging Project
Stanford University Medical School