The Muscle and Bone Palpation Manual with Trigger Points, Referral Patterns and Stretching - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 2nd Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
With more than 1,000 vibrant, full-color illustrations and over 4 hours of detailed video demonstrations, THE MUSCLE AND BONE PALPATION MANUAL is the most visually engaging way to help your students master and successfully apply palpation techniques in massage therapy. This innovative text uses unique, richly detailed photographic illustrations of muscles as they appear under the skin to give your students a thorough understanding of effective palpation. This comprehensive guide provides unparalleled preparation for professional success.
- Full-color musculoskeletal overlays depict muscles and bones exactly as they appear when palpated to help you locate tissues and landmarks with confidence.
- Comprehensive palpation coverage helps you easily identify muscle names, attachments, actions, palpation steps, and more.
- Video demonstrations on two companion DVDs demonstrate and reinforce correct muscle palpation.
- Joseph Muscolino’s popular, concise writing style makes the science of palpation clear and accessible, encouraging critical thinking skills.
- Trigger points and referral patterns included for each muscle provide convenient access to guidelines for additional client assessment and treatment.
- Massage-specific treatment options guide you from palpation and assessment to practical treatment application.
- Stretching protocols and illustrations broaden your treatment capabilities.
- Comprehensive Body Mechanics chapter details 10 guidelines to help maximize efficiency during practice.
- A massage stroke atlas with information on draping techniques, massage strokes, and fundamental characteristics of touch helps you efficiently treat clients.
- Detailed explanations and full color drawings for bone and bony landmark palpation provide a comprehensive resource for bone palpation.
- NEW! Interactive Muscle Program available on Evolve allows you to see muscle attachments and the relationship among the muscles of the region, easing the process and aiding in retention of material.
- NEW! Drawings of therapist-assisted stretches added to the third section of the text supplies you with a comprehensive look at stretching, with both the existing self-stretches and the assisted stretches presented side-by-side.
- NEW! Case studies keep your interest level high with the opportunity for integrative, clinical reasoning.
- NEW! Reformatted Bone Palpation and Ligaments section offers content in a narrative format consistent with the rest of the text for easier navigation.
- NEW! "Deeper Thoughts" questions actively engage and challenge your reasoning skills.
- NEW! Review questions allow you to discuss concepts and synthesize important chapter information.
PART I: ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT TECHNIQUES 1. Introduction to Palpation 2. The Art and Science of Muscle Palpation 3. Draping and Basic Massage Strokes 4. Body Mechanics for the Manual Therapist 5. Anatomy, Physiology, and Treatment of Trigger Points 6. Stretching
PART 2: BONE PALPATION AND LIGAMENTS 7. Upper Extremity Bone Palpation and Ligaments 8. Axial Body Bone Palpation and Ligaments 9. Lower Extremity Bone Palpation and Ligaments
PART 3: MUSCLE PALPATION 10. Tour #1: Palpation of the Muscles of the Shoulder Girdle 11. Tour #2: Palpation of the Neck Muscles 12. Tour #3: Palpation of the Muscles of the Head 13. Tour #4: Palpation of the Muscles of the Arm 14. Tour #5: Palpation of the Muscles of the Forearm 15. Tour #6: Palpation of the Intrinsic Muscles of the Hand 16. Tour #7: Palpation of the Trunk Muscles 17. Tour #8: Palpation of the Pelvic Muscles 18. Tour #9: Palpation of the Thigh Muscles 19. Tour #10: Palpation of the Leg Muscles 20. Tour #11: Palpation of the Intrinsic Muscles of the Foot
Joseph E. Muscolino, DC, Instructor, Purchase College, State University of New York, Purchase, New York; Owner, The Art and Science of Kinesiology, Redding, Connecticut