Mosby's Pocket Guide to Fetal Monitoring - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 8th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Authored by a nurse-midwife, a perinatologist, and a nurse, Mosby’s Pocket Guide to Fetal Monitoring: A Multidisciplinary Approach, 8th Edition is an evidence-based resource on fetal heart rate monitoring for all clinicians — whether nurses, physicians or midwife, students or instructors. Designed specifically for the clinical environment, this pocket-sized guide provides students a single source for interpretation and management of electronic fetal monitoring – in labor and delivery, the intensive care unit, inpatient antepartum units, or the obstetric or midwifery office.
- Pocket-sized, two-color design offers portability and easy access to information.
- Descriptions of the relationship between fetal heart rate and fetal acidemia alert you to important considerations in the care of the laboring patient.
- Patient safety and risk management strategies with case study illustrations and legal commentary include guidelines for providing safe and competent care.
- Coverage of innovative practices supports a culture of patient safety and improved quality outcomes in high-reliability perinatal units addressing:
- Use of a common language for fetal heart rate patterns with a common construct for interpretation
- Emergency preparedness (multidisciplinary mock emergencies, simulations, debriefing after critical events, and exemplary practice)
- Human factor issues (step-by-step process to improve communication, situational awareness, no-fault/just culture, teamwork, and collegiality)
- Selected FHR Tracings and Cases: Interpretation and Documentation appendix provides an important reference tool for all clinicians.
- Expert author team with international presence.
- NEW! Two simple principles of interpretation that are evidence- and consensus-based.
- NEW! Content on Category II tracing management prepares you to assist in delivery decisions.
- NEW! Neonatal encephalopathy content keeps you in the know.
- UPDATED! Revised chapters feature the most up-to-date information.
1. A Brief History of Fetal Monitoring
2. Physiologic Basis for Electronic Fetal Heart Rate Monitoring
3. Methods and Instrumentation
4. Uterine Activity Evaluation and Management
5. Pattern Recognition and Interpretation
6. Intrapartum Management of the Fetal Heart Rate Tracing
7. Influence of Gestational Age on Fetal Heart Rate
8. Fetal Assessment in Non-Obstetric Settings
9. Antepartum Fetal Assessment
10. Patient Safety, Risk Management, and Documentation
11. Obstetric Models and Electronic Fetal Monitoring in Europe
Appendix A: Amnioinfusion
Appendix B: Instructions for Reviewing Appendix B FHR Tracings
Appendix C: Self-assessment with answer key
Glossary of Terms and Abbreviations
Lisa A. Miller, CNM, JD, President, Perinatal Risk Management & Education Services, David Miller, Associate Professor and Rebecca L. Cypher