Illustrated Dental Embryology, Histology, and Anatomy Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 5th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Give students a clear picture of oral biology and the formation and study of dental structures. Illustrated Dental Embryology, Histology, & Anatomy, 5th Edition is the ideal introduction to one of the most foundational areas in the dental professions – understanding the development, cellular makeup, and physical anatomy of the head and neck regions. Written in a clear, reader-friendly style, this text makes it easy for students to understand both basic science and clinical applications - putting the content into the context of everyday dental practice. New for the fifth edition is evidence-based research on the dental placode, nerve core region, bleeding difficulties, silver diamine fluoride, and primary dentition occlusion. Plus, high-quality color renderings and clinical histographs and photomicrographs throughout the book, truly brings the material to life.
- UPDATED! Test Bank with cognitive leveling and mapping to the dental assisting and dental hygiene test blueprints
- UPDATED! User-friendly pronunciation guide of terms ensures students learn the correct way to pronounce dental terminology.
- Comprehensive coverage includes all the content needed for an introduction to the developmental, histological, and anatomical foundations of oral health.
- Hundreds of full-color anatomical illustrations and clinical and microscopic photographs accompany text descriptions of anatomy and biology.
- Clinical Considerations boxes relate abstract-seeming biological concepts to everyday clinical practice.
- Key terms open each chapter, accompanied by phonetic pronunciations, and are highlighted within the text, and ag glossary provides a quick and handy review and research tool.
- Expert authors provide guidance and expertise related to advanced dental content.
- NEW! Evidence-based research thoroughly discusses the dental placode, nerve core region, bleeding difficulties, silver diamine fluoride, and primary dentition occlusion.
- NEW! Photomicrographs, histographs, and full-color illustrations throughout text helps bring the material to life.
- NEW! The latest periodontal insights include biologic width, gingival biotype, gingival crevicular fluid quantitative proteomics, clinical attachment level, AAP disease classification, and reactive oxygen species therapy.
- NEW! Expanded coverage of key topics includes figures on tongue formation, developmental disturbances, root morphology, and TMJ cone beam CT.
UNIT I: OROFACIAL STRUCTURES 1. Face and Neck Regions 2. Oral Cavity and Pharynx
UNIT II: DENTAL EMBRYOLOGY 3. Prenatal Development 4. Face and Neck Development 5. Orofacial Development 6. Tooth Development and Eruption
UNIT III: DENTAL HISTOLOGY 7. Cells 8. Basic Tissue 9. Oral Mucosa 10. Gingival and Dentogingival Junctional Tissues 11. Head and Neck Structures 12. Enamel 13. Dentin and Pulp 14. Periodontium: Cementum, Alveolar Bone, Periodontal Ligament
UNIT IV: DENTAL ANATOMY 15. Overview of Dentitions 16. Permanent Anterior Teeth 17. Permanent Posterior Teeth 18. Primary Dentition 19. Temporomandibular Joint 20. Occlusion
Bibliography Glossary Appendix A: Anatomical Position Appendix B: Units of Measure Appendix C: Tooth Measurements Appendix D: Tooth Development Index
Margaret J. Fehrenbach, RDH, MS, Dental Hygiene Educational Consultant,Oral Biology Technical Writer,Adjunct Faculty,Seattle Central College,Seattle, Washington and Tracy Popowics, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Oral Health Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Washington