Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials for the Dental Team - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Emphasizing patient safety and disease prevention in the dental office, Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials for the Dental Team, 7th Edition, is an essential resource for all members of the dental team. With discussions ranging from microbiology concepts to protocols for clinical asepsis, this comprehensive, highly practical text features the most up-to-date regulatory recommendations, as well as coverage of patient safety preparation and infection control breaches. Step-by-step instructions make it easy for students to perform safety procedures and use the supplies and equipment needed to prevent the spread of infectious disease, while real-world case scenarios present opportunities for critical thinking and application.
- Comprehensive coverage looks at infection control and prevention from the perspective of all dental team members.
- Easy-to-follow, step-by-step procedures are provided for skills that dental team members must master, each presented with a goal, materials, chronological steps, and rationales for the performance of each step.
- Review questions ensure your comprehension of the material and provide practice for classroom and board examinations.
- Key terms begin each chapter and are highlighted within text discussions and defined in a back-of-book glossary.
- Chapter learning objectives help you set goals for what you will accomplish and serve as checkpoints for comprehension and study tools in preparation for examinations.
- NEW! Content regarding COVID-19 examines its effects on infection control in the dental office, including a new appendix outlining CDC guidance for dental settings.
- NEW! Updated coverage of the sterilization of dental handpieces is based on the April 2018 CDC update.
- UPDATED! Case scenarios represent the most current infection control practices for today’s dental practice and help you apply what you’ve learned to real-world situations.
- UPDATED! Artwork throughout the text reflects the latest dental equipment and supplies.
PART 1: The Microbial World 1. Scope of Microbiology and Infection Control 2. Characteristics of Microorganisms 3. Development of Infectious Diseases 4. Emerging Diseases 5. Oral Microbiology and Plaque-Associated Diseases
PART 2: Infection Control 6. Blood-Borne Pathogens 7. Oral and Respiratory Diseases 8. Infection Control Rationale and Regulations 9. Preparing for Patient Safety and Occupational Health 10. Immunizations 11. Hand Hygiene 12. Personal Protective Barriers 13. Instrument Processing 14. Surface and Equipment Asepsis 15. Dental Unit Water Asepsis and Air Quality 16. Aseptic Techniques 17. Laboratory and Radiographic Asepsis 18. Waste Management 19. Prevention of Sharps Injuries 20. A Clinical Asepsis Protocol 21. General Office Asepsis 22. Greener Infection Control 23. Home Hygiene
PART 3: Office Safety 24. Occupational Safety and Health Administration 25. OSHA Inspections 26. Management of the Office Safety Program 27. Managing Chemicals Safely 28. Employee Fire Prevention and Emergency Action Plans 29. Infection Control Concerns during Remodeling and Construction 30. Infection Control Breaches and Disease Transmissions in Dental Facilities
Appendix A: Resource List Appendix B: CDC Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health-Care Settings Appendix C: CDC Guidelines for Prevention of Tuberculosis in Dental Settings Appendix D: Organization for Safety, Asepsis and Prevention (OSAP) Appendix E: Exposure Incident Report Appendix F: Infection Control and the American Dental Association Appendix G: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration Bloodborne Pathogen Standard Appendix H: The Occupational Safety and Health Administration Hazard Communication Standard Glossary Index
Chris H. Miller, BA, MS, PhD, Professor Emeritus of Oral Microbiology
Indiana University School of Dentistry