Anatomy & Physiology (includes A&P Online course), 11th Edition
A&P may be complicated, but learning it doesn't have to be! Anatomy & Physiology, 11th Edition uses a clear, easy-to-read approach to tell the story of the human body’s structure and function. Color-coded illustrations, case studies, and Clear View of the Human Body transparencies help students see the "Big Picture" of A&P. To jump-start learning, each unit begins by reviewing what students have already learned and previewing what they are about to learn. Short chapters simplify concepts with bite-size chunks of information. Designed for two-semester courses, this award-winning text includes A&P Online with 3-D animations and interactive exercises to make learning even easier.
- Conversational, storytelling writing style breaks down information into brief chapters and chunks of information, making it easier to understand concepts.
- 1,400 full-color photographs and drawings bring difficult A&P concepts to life and illustrate the most current scientific knowledge.
- UNIQUE! Clear View of the Human Body transparencies allow you to peel back the layers of the body, with a 22-page, full-color insert showing the male and female human body along several planes.
- The Big Picture and Cycle of Life sections in each chapter help you comprehend the interrelation of body systems and how the structure and function of these change in relation to age and development.
- Interesting sidebars include boxed features such as Language of Science and Language of Medicine, Mechanisms of Disease, Health Matters, Diagnostic Study, FYI, Sport and Fitness, and Career Choices.
- Learning features include outlines, key terms, and study hints at the start of each chapter.
- Chapter summaries, review questions, and critical thinking questions help you consolidate learning after reading each chapter.
- Quick Check questions in each chapter reinforce learning by prompting you to review what you have just read.
- UNIQUE! Comprehensive glossary includes more terms than in similar textbooks, each with an easy pronunciation guide and simplified translation of word parts — essential features for learning to use scientific and medical terminology!
- NEW! Updated content reflects more accurately the diverse spectrum of humanity.
- NEW! Updated chapters include Homeostasis, Central Nervous System, Lymphatic System, Endocrine Regulation, Endocrine Glands, and Blood Vessels.
- NEW! Additional and updated Connect It! articles on the Evolve website, called out in the text, help to illustrate, clarify, and apply concepts.
- NEW! Seven guided 3-D learning modules are included for Anatomy & Physiology.
UNIT 1: The Body as a Whole
1. Organization of the Body
3. Chemical Basis of Life
5. Cell Structure
6. Cell Function
7. Cell Growth and Development
8. Introduction to Tissues
9. Tissue Types
UNIT 2: Support and Movement
11. Skeletal Tissues
12. Axial Skeleton
13. Appendicular Skeleton
15. Axial Muscles
16. Appendicular Muscles
17. Muscle Contraction
UNIT 3: Communication, Control, and Integration
18. Nervous System Cells
19. Nerve Signaling
20. Central Nervous System
21. Peripheral Nervous System
22. Autonomic Nervous System
23. General Senses
24. Special Senses
25. Endocrine Regulation
26. Endocrine Glands
UNIT 4: Transportation and Defense
29. Blood Vessels
30. Circulation of Blood
31. Lymphatic System
32. Innate Immunity
33. Adaptive Immunity
UNIT 5: Respiration, Nutrition and Excretion
35. Respiratory Tract
37. Gas Exchange and Transport
38. Upper Digestive Tract
39. Lower Digestive Tract
40. Digestion and Absorption
41. Nutrition and Metabolism
42. Urinary System
43. Fluid and Electrolyte Balance
44. Acid-Base Balance
UNIT 6: Reproduction and Development
45. Male Reproductive System
46. Female Reproductive System
47. Growth and Development
48. Genetics and Heredity
Kevin T. Patton, PhD, Professor Emeritus, Life Sciences,St. Charles Community College Cottleville, MO Professor of Human Anatomy & Physiology Instruction (HAPI adjunct) Northeast College of Health Sciences Seneca Falls, NY, Frank Bell, DC, MSHAPI, Adjunct Assistant Professor MS in Human Anatomy & Physiology Instruction (MSHAPI) Program Northeast College of Health Sciences Seneca Falls, NY, Terry Thompson, MS, MSHAPI, Professor Emeritus of Biological Sciences Wor-Wic Community College President Emeritus - HAPS Salisbury, MD and Peggie Williamson, PT, DPT, MS, MSHAPI, University of Mary Hardin DPT Program Baylor in Belton, TX Bellah Therapies, LLC Harker Heights, TX