McCance & Huether’s Pathophysiology, 9th Edition
Ensure students grasp the what, how, and why of pathophysiology! With easy-to-read, in-depth descriptions of disease, disease etiology, and disease processes, McCance and Huether’s Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children, 9th Edition helps students understand the most important and most complex pathophysiology concepts. This updated text includes more than 1,300 full-color illustrations and photographs to make it easier to identify normal anatomy and physiology, as well as alterations of function. It’s the most comprehensive and authoritative pathophysiology text available!
- Unparalleled coverage of pathophysiology content makes this the most comprehensive and authoritative pathophysiology text on the market.
- Consistent presentation of diseases includes pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment.
- Over 1,300 full-color illustrations and photographs depict the clinical manifestations of disease and disease processes ? more than in any other pathophysiology text.
- Algorithms and flowcharts of diseases and disorders make it easy for you to follow the sequential progression of disease processes.
- Lifespan content includes ten separate pediatric chapters and special sections with aging and pediatrics content.
- Coverage of rare diseases and epigenetics further explores genetic disease traits.
- Obesity and Nutritional Disorders chapter thoroughly covers these growing global concerns.
- Chapter summary reviews provide concise synopses of the main points of each chapter.
- More than 30 3D animations on the companion Evolve website bring difficult concepts to life for a new perspective on disease processes.
- NEW! More than 50 new or revised illustrations visually reinforce pathophysiology concepts.
- NEW! Emerging Science boxes highlight the most current research and clinical developments.
PART ONE: Central Concepts of Pathophysiology: Cells and Tissues
UNIT I The Cell
1 Cellular Biology
2 Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology: Environmental Agents
3 The Cellular Environment: Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases
UNIT II Genes and Gene-Environment Interaction
4 Genes and Genetic Diseases
5 Genes, Environment-Lifestyle, and Common Diseases
6 Epigenetics and Disease
UNIT III Mechanisms of Self-Defense
7 Innate Immunity: Inflammation and Wound Healing
8 Adaptive Immunity
9 Alterations in Immunity
11 Stress and Disease
UNIT IV Cellular Proliferation: Cancer
12 Cancer Biology
13 Cancer Epidemiology
14 Cancer in Children and Adolescents
UNIT V The Neurologic System
15 Structure and Function of the Neurologic System
16 Pain, Temperature Regulation, Sleep, and Sensory Function
Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics, and Motor Function
18 Alterations of the Brain, Spinal Cord, and Peripheral Nerves
19 Neurobiology of Schizophrenia, Mood Disorders, Anxiety Disorders, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
20 Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children
UNIT VI The Endocrine System
21 Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation
22 Alterations of Hormonal Regulation
23 Obesity, Starvation, and Anorexia of Aging
UNIT VII The Reproductive Systems
24 Structure and Function of the Reproductive Systems
25 Alterations of the Female Reproductive System
26 Alterations of the Male Reproductive System
27 Sexually Transmitted Infections
UNIT VIII The Hematologic System
28 Structure and Function of the Hematologic System
29 Alterations of Hematologic Function
30 Alterations of Hematologic Function in Children
UNIT IX The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
31 Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
32 Alterations of Cardiovascular Function
33 Alterations of Cardiovascular Function in Children
UNIT X The Pulmonary System
34 Structure and Function of the Pulmonary System
35 Alterations of Pulmonary Function
36 Alterations of Pulmonary Function in Children
UNIT XI The Renal and Urologic Systems
37 Structure and Function of the Renal and Urologic Systems
38 Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function
39 Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function in Children
UNIT XII The Digestive System
40 Structure and Function of the Digestive System, 1285
41 Alterations of Digestive Function
42 Alterations of Digestive Function in Children
UNIT XIII The Musculoskeletal System
43 Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System
44 Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function
45 Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function in Children
UNIT XIV The Integumentary System
46 Structure, Function, and Disorders of the Integument
47 Alterations of the Integument in Children
UNIT XV Multiple Interacting Systems
48 Shock, Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, and Burns in Adults
49 Shock, Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, and Burns in Children
Julia Rogers, DNP, RN, CNS, FNP-BC, Assistant Professor College of Nursing Purdue University