Lewis' Medical-Surgical Nursing Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 12th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Help your students gain the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in medical-surgical nursing with this leading textbook! Lewis's Medical-Surgical Nursing, 12th Edition uses a conversational writing style, a focus on nursing concepts and clinical trends, evidence-based content, and basic pathophysiology review to provide the solid foundation required in a rapidly changing healthcare environment. Comprehensive chapters cover topics including nursing management and collaboration, health promotion, acute interventions, and ambulatory care. Summary tables and boxes make it easy to find essential information, and a building-block approach makes even the most complex concepts simple to grasp. In addition to three new chapters, this edition includes a stronger focus on the nursing process, clinical judgment, and preparation for the Next-Generation NCLEX® Examination.
- Content written and reviewed by leading experts in the field ensures that information is comprehensive, current, and clinically accurate.
- Interprofessional care is addressed in special Interprofessional Care sections and Interprofessional Care tables.
- Bridge to the NCLEX® Examination review questions reinforce key content and include both standard and alternate item format questions to help you prepare for the NCLEX exam.
- Coverage of cultural and ethnic health disparities highlights important issues such as risk factors, economic aspects, and access to health care.
- Coverage of gerontology and chronic illness is addressed in a separate chapter and highlighted in special gerontologic tables.
- Pathophysiology maps use flowcharts to outline complex concepts related to diseases, making them easier to understand.
- Focused Assessment boxes provide brief checklists for a practical "assessment on the run" or bedside approach to assessment, and can be used to evaluate the status of previously identified health problems and monitor for signs of new problems.
- Safety Alert boxes highlight patient safety issues and focus on the National Patient Safety Goals.
- Nutritional Therapy tables summarize nutritional interventions and strategies for promoting healthy lifestyles.
- Promoting Population Health boxes summarize health care goals as they relate to specific disorders such as cancer and diabetes, and identify strategies for health promotion.
- Drug Therapy tables and Drug Alerts highlight important safety considerations for key drugs.
- Check Your Practice boxes challenge you to think critically, analyze patient assessment data, and implement appropriate interventions.
- Coverage of genetics includes a separate chapter on genetics, Genetics in Clinical Practice boxes covering disorders and genetic testing, risk alerts, and links to disorders.
- Focus on patient and caregiver teaching shows how you can help patients and caregivers learn to manage chronic illnesses and conditions.
- Ethical / Legal Dilemmas boxes introduce key topics such as informed consent, advance directives, and confidentiality.
- Enhanced focus on clinical judgment and preparation for the Next-Generation NCLEX® Exam (NGN) features Applying Clinical Judgment With Multiple Patients boxes with traditional and NGN-style questions.
- Revised table of contents reflects critical care content throughout the book and adds new chapters including Supporting Ventilation and Caring for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, and Gender Diverse Patients.
- Social Determinants of Health chapter focuses on nursing awareness of how patient circumstances affect health outcomes.
- Clinical problems language replaces NANDA-I / ICNP diagnoses and better aligns with Harding & Hagler’s Conceptual Nursing Care Planning.
- Case studies — now labeled with Cognitive Skills from the NCSBN’s Clinical Judgment Measurement Model — bring patient care to life, helping you develop skills in clinical judgment, prioritization, delegation, and evidence-based practice.
- Conceptual focus for the patient experiencing infection or inflammation is included in the Infection chapter and the Inflammation and Healing chapter.
- Updated content throughout reflects the latest evidence-based guidelines for patient care.
- Streamlined features and content provide an optimized learning experience.
Professional Nursing Social Determinants of Health Health History and Physical Examination Patient and Caregiver Teaching Chronic Illness and Older Adults Stress Management Sleep and Sleep Disorders Pain Palliative and End-of-Life Care Substance Use Disorders Inflammation and Healing Genetics Immune Responses and Transplantation Infection Cancer Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Imbalances Management: Preoperative Care Management: Intraoperative Care Management: Postoperative Care Emergency Care Situations Assessment and Management: Visual Problems Assessment and Management: Auditory Problems Assessment: Integumentary System Integumentary Problems Burns Assessment: Respiratory System Supporting Ventilation NEW chapter Upper Respiratory Problems Lower Respiratory Problems Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases Respiratory Failure and ARDS Assessment: Hematologic System Hematologic Problems Assessment: Cardiovascular System Hypertension CAD & Acute Coronary Syndrome Heart Failure Dysrhythmias Inflammatory & Structural Heart Disorders Vascular Disorders Shock, Sepsis, and MODS Assessment: Gastrointestinal System Nutrition Problems Obesity Upper Gastrointestinal Problems Lower Gastrointestinal Problems Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas Problems Assessment: Urinary System Renal and Urologic Problems Acute Kidney Injury & Chronic Kidney Disease Assessment: Endocrine System Diabetes Mellitus Endocrine Problems Assessment: Reproductive System Breast Disorders Sexually Transmitted Infections Female Reproductive Problems Male Reproductive Problems LGBT NEW chapter Assessment: Nervous System Acute Intracranial Problems Stroke Chronic Neurologic Problems Dementia and Delirium Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nerve Problems Assessment: Musculoskeletal System MS Trauma Orthopedic Surgery Musculoskeletal Problems
Mariann M. Harding, PhD, RN, CNE, FAADN, Professor of Nursing Technology,Kent State University Tuscarawas,New Philadelphia, Ohio, Jeffrey Kwong, DNP, MPH, AGPCNP-BC, FAANP, FAAN, Professor, Division of Advanced Nursing Practice, School of Nursing, Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey, Debra Hagler, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, CNE, CHSE, ANEF, FAAN, Clinical Professor,Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation,Arizona State University,Phoenix, Arizona and Courtney Reinisch, RN, DNP, FNP-BC, Director of Undergraduate Nursing, School of Nursing, Montclair State University, Montclair, New Jersey