Medical-Surgical Nursing, 5th Edition
Help students develop skills in clinical judgment and prepare for the Next-Generation NCLEX-PN® (NGN) examination! Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts and Practice, 5th Edition provides a solid foundation in nursing concepts and skills essential to the LPN/LVN role. Complete coverage of common adult medical-surgical conditions includes all body systems and their disorders, addressing patient care in a variety of settings. Special attention is given to care of older adults, those with chronic illnesses, and residents in long-term care settings. Emphasizing evidence-based practice, this text reflects the expanding scope of practice for LPN/LVNs. What’s more, it makes exam prep easier with new NGN case studies and an emphasis on developing critical thinking and clinical judgment.
- Nursing care plans show plans of care based on patient history and include patient goals and outcomes, with critical thinking questions allowing you to assess your understanding of related nursing concepts.
- Concept maps illustrate how a disorder’s symptoms, treatments, and side effects relate to each other.
- Safety alerts emphasize safety precautions to protect patients, family, health care providers, and the public from accidents, spread of disease, and medication-related accidents.
- Focused Assessment boxes show how to collect patient data, including history and physical and psychosocial assessment, with guidance on collecting information for specific disorders.
- Communication boxes help in developing therapeutic communication skills in realistic patient care situations.
- Patient Teaching boxes provide instructions and guidelines for educating patients in self-care.
- Elder Care Points address the unique care issues that affect older adults and provide suggestions for assessment and interventions for long-term patients.
- Home Care Considerations focus on adapting medical-surgical nursing care to the home environment after discharge.
- Assignment Considerations cover task delegation from the RN to the LPN/LVN and from the LPN/LVN to unlicensed assistive personnel, as allowed by each state’s nurse practice act.
- Nutrition Considerations emphasize the role nutrition plays in disease and holistic nursing care.
- Cultural Considerations promote understanding of the needs of various ethnic groups and sensitivity to differing beliefs and practices.
- Legal and Ethical Considerations describe legal issues and ethical dilemmas that may face the practicing nurse.
- Get Ready for the Next-Generation NCLEX® Examination! section at the end of each chapter covers key points and includes review questions and critical thinking questions to help you prepare for class tests and the NCLEX-PN examination.
- Medication tables provide quick access to drug dosages and side effects of commonly used medications.
- Key terms include phonetic pronunciations and text page references, making learning easier with terms listed at the beginning of each chapter, appearing in blue at first mention or where defined in the text, and defined in the glossary.
- Concepts important to developing nursing knowledge for sound clinical thinking are identified for each chapter.
- Care for those who identify as LGBTQIA+ is discussed.
- Companion study guide further promotes clinical judgment through additional case studies, critical thinking opportunities, and interactive communication activities. Emphasis is placed on understanding and application of nursing knowledge. Available separately.
- NEW! Next-Generation NCLEX® case studies and new format questions help you prepare for the licensure examination.
- NEW! Discussion of the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model helps in developing the decision-making skills needed to plan effective nursing interventions.
Holly K. Stromberg, RN, BSN, MSN, PHN, Alumnus CCRN, Professor Emeritus of Nursing, Allan Hancock College, Clinical Educator, Marian Regional Medical Center, Santa Maria, California