Physical Examination and Health Assessment - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 9th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
With an easy-to-follow approach and unmatched learning support, Jarvis's Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 9th Edition is the most widely used, authoritative, complete, and easily implemented learning solution for health assessment in nursing. This hub of a tightly integrated learning package continues to center on Carolyn Jarvis's clear, logical, and holistic approach to physical examination and health assessment across the patient lifespan. It's packed with vivid illustrations, step-by-step guidance, and evidence-based content to provide a complete approach to health assessment and physical examination. With an enhanced focus on today's need-to-know information, the 9th edition integrates concepts from the Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) initiative, concepts of interprofessional collaboration, enhanced transgender considerations, and integrated content and electronic resources for success on the Next Generation NCLEX®.
- Clear, conversational, step-by-step, evidence-based approach covers physical examination and health assessment of patients throughout the lifespan.
- Consistent format from chapter to chapter features sections on structure and function, subjective data, objective data, documentation and critical thinking, abnormal findings, and health promotion and patient teaching to help you learn to assess systematically.
- Inclusion of LGBTQ issues and Cultural Assessment chapter equip you with the skills to practice with greater sensitivity and inclusivity.
- Engaging online learning resources include assessment video clips; review questions for the NCLEX®; case studies for the NGN; audio clips of heart, lung, and abdominal sounds; assessment checklists; and much more.
- Promoting a Healthy Lifestyle boxes present opportunities for patient teaching and health promotion while performing the health assessment.
- Developmental Competence sections highlight content specific to infants, children, adolescents, pregnant women, and older adults.
- Culture and Genetics sections include information on biocultural and transcultural variations in an increasingly diverse patient population.
- Standalone Vital Signs chapter and focused nutrition content emphasize the national epidemic of obesity.
- Integration of interprofessional collaboration emphasizes how to ensure patient safety during the physical exam and how to collaborate with other health professionals to promote optimal health.
- Enhanced content on the electronic health record, charting, and narrative recording exemplifies how to document assessment findings using state-of-the-art systems with time-tested thoroughness.
- UPDATED! Photos identify common skin conditions in both light skin and dark skin, increasing inclusivity and representation for better health outcomes.
- UPDATED! Expanded transgender considerations promote culturally competent care of this underserved patient population.
- NEW! Fully integrated print and electronic coverage of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) Clinical Judgment Measurement Model (NCJMM) helps equip you for the Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN).
- UPDATED! An unsurpassed collection of more than 1,100 full-color illustrations vividly showcases anatomy and physiology, examination techniques, and abnormal findings.
- UPDATED! Increased focus on social determinants of health (SODH) addresses the disparities that can affect health outcomes, enabling a whole-health approach.
1. Evidence-Based Assessment 2. Cultural Assessment 3. The Interview 4. The Complete Health History 5. Mental Status Assessment 6. Substance Use Assessment 7. Domestic and Family Violence Assessment 8. Assessment Techniques and Safety in the Clinical Setting 9. General Survey and Measurement 10. Vital Signs 11. Pain Assessment 12. Nutrition Assessment 13. Skin, Hair, and Nails 14. Head, Face, Neck, and Regional Lymphatics 15. Eyes 16. Ears 17. Nose, Mouth, and Throat 18. Breasts, Axillae, and Regional Lymphatics 19. Thorax and Lungs 20. Heart and Neck Vessels 21. Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatic System 22. Abdomen 23. Musculoskeletal System 24. Neurologic System 25. Male Genitourinary System 26. Anus, Rectum, and Prostate 27. Female Genitourinary System 28. The Complete Health Assessment: Adult 29. The Complete Physical Assessment: Infant, Young Child, and Adolescent 30. Bedside Assessment and Electronic Documentation 31. The Pregnant Woman 32. Functional Assessment of the Older Adult
Carolyn Jarvis, PhD, APN, CNP, Professor Emerita, School of Nursing, Illinois Wesleyan University; Certified Nurse Practitioner (retired), Bloomington, Illinois and Ann L. Eckhardt, PhD, RN, Associate Chair of Clinical Education, College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Department of Graduate Nursing, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas