Success in Practical/Vocational Nursing - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 10th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
Take your students on an exciting journey to success in LPN/LVN careers! Emphasizing leadership and clinical judgment skills, Success in Practical / Vocational Nursing: From Student to Leader, 10th Edition helps students navigate their way through nursing school, examinations, the job search, and success in professional practice. It describes the building blocks essential to a successful career, such as critical thinking, ethics, effective communication, and an understanding of the LPN’s role in the nursing process. Also useful are review questions preparing students for the NCLEX-PN® examination. Part of a complete curriculum solution for LPN/LVN programs, this text adds new insight into the ways self-empowerment can help students achieve positive outcomes in class and on the job.
- Basic career information includes the value of the LPN, workforce trends, state regulations governing LPN practice, and insight into safe practice and NCLEX-PN® success.
- Learning features in each chapter include objectives and key terms with phonetic pronunciations, with definitions in the text and in the glossary.
- Storytelling narratives at the beginning of specific chapters use real-life scenarios to provide context for the topic.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX-PN® Examination section at the end of each chapter includes key points, critical thinking scenarios, additional learning resources, and review questions with answers at the back of the book.
- Test-taking and interview preparation tips prepare students to take the NCLEX-PN Examination and guide you through the job search, applications, and interviews — including electronic resumes.
- Critical Thinking boxes provide opportunities to practice problem solving.
- Coordinated Care boxes develop leadership and management skills with hints, tools, and activities.
- Keep in Mind boxes introduce the underlying theme of each chapter.
- Professional Pointers boxes give advice on nursing best practices in practice settings.
- Try This! boxes challenge students to imagine, visualize, and think outside the box.
- Full-color design makes this text visually appealing and easy to read.
- References cite evidence-based information and can be found in the back of the book.
- NEW! Next-Generation NCLEX® (NGN) Examination-style questions are provided at the end of each chapter.
- NEW! Empowerment boxes introduce tools that can affect positive outcomes in class, clinicals, and professional practice.
- NEW! Updated content includes delegation, preparing students for leadership positions immediately upon graduation, and the latest on clinical judgment.
UNIT I RESOURCES
1 Personal Resources of an Adult Learner
2 Academic Resources (Study Skills and Test Strategies)
3 Community Resources
UNIT II BUILDING BLOCKS FOR YOUR CAREER
4 How Practical/Vocational Nursing Evolved: 1836 to the Present
5 Critical Thinking: A Lifelong Journey
6 Ethics Applied to Nursing: Personal Versus Professional Ethics
7 Nursing and the Law: What Are the Rules?
UNIT III RELATIONSHIP-CENTERED CARE
8 Effective Communication: Health Care Team, Clients, Faculty, and Peers
9 Assertiveness: Your Responsibility
10 Cultural Uniqueness, Sensitivity, and Competence
11 Spiritual Needs, Spiritual Caring, and Religious Differences
UNIT IV HEALTH SYSTEM-BASED CARE
12 The Nursing Process: Your Role
13 Nursing Theory, Research, and Evidence-Based Practice
14 The Interdisciplinary Health Care Team: The Role of the Practical/Vocational Nurse
15 Health Care Settings: Continuum of Care
16 The Health Care System: Financing, Issues, and Trends
UNIT V THE LPN/LVN: YOUR ROLE TODAY AND IN THE FUTURE
17 Collaboration: Leading and Managing
18 Workforce Trends: How to Find a First Job You Will Love
19 Licensure and Regulation: Becoming Licensed and Understanding Your State Nurse Practice Act
APPENDIX A, ANSWER KEY FOR REVIEW QUESTIONS FOR THE NATIONAL COUNCIL LICENSURE EXAMINATION FOR LICENSED PRACTICAL/LICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSES (NCLEX-PN®)
Lisa Carroll, PhD, RN and Janyce L. Collier, MSN, RN, CNE