Study Guide for Understanding Nursing Research, 8th Edition
With this practical study guide, students will get more out of Grove & Gray’s Understanding Nursing Research, 8th Edition! Matching the chapters in the textbook, this workbook provides exercises that test student knowledge and boost their critical appraisal skills. It offers hands-on practice in applying nursing research to evidence-based practice while reinforcing the steps of the research process. Like the textbook, this edition includes a stronger emphasis on critical appraisal — with an appendix of three published research studies referenced in exercises throughout the book.
- Time-tested and innovative exercises reinforce key concepts with fill-in-the-blank, matching, and multiple-choice questions, with exercises including Terms and Definitions, Linking Ideas, Web-Based Information and Resources, and Conducting Critical Appraisals to Build an Evidence-Based Practice.
- Critical Appraisal activities provide opportunities to apply your research knowledge to evaluate the quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods studies located in the appendices.
- Appraisal Guidelines provide step-by-step guidance in critically appraising published research literature.
- Quick-reference printed tabs in the print edition make it easy to locate the Answer Key and each of the book's three published studies in the appendices.
- Answer Key is provided for the exercises in each chapter, allowing you to check your understanding and learn from your mistakes.
- NEW! Increased focus on critical appraisal for evidence-based practice corresponds to the emphasis on critical appraisal in the text.
- NEW! Updated content corresponds to the 8th edition of Grove & Gray’s Understanding Nursing Research textbook.
- NEW! Updated full-text articles reflect the most current, high-quality research studies.
Chapter 1 Introduction to Nursing Research and Its Importance in Building an Evidence-Based Practice
Chapter 2 Introduction to Quantitative Research
Chapter 3 Introduction to Qualitative Research
Chapter 4 Examining Ethics in Nursing Research
Chapter 5 Examining Research Problems, Purposes, and Hypotheses
Chapter 6 Understanding and Critically Appraising the Literature Review
Chapter 7 Understanding Theory and Research Frameworks
Chapter 8 Clarifying Quantitative Research Designs
Chapter 9 Examining Populations and Samples in Research
Chapter 10 Clarifying Measurement and Data Collection in Quantitative Research
Chapter 11 Understanding Statistics in Research
Chapter 12 Critical Appraisal of Quantitative and Qualitative Research for Nursing Practice
Chapter 13 Building an Evidence-Based Nursing Practice
Chapter 14 Introduction to Additional Research Methodologies in Nursing: Mixed Methods and Outcomes Research
Answer Key to Study Guide Exercises
Appendix A: Quantitative Study
Appendix B: Qualitative Study
Appendix C: Mixed Methods Study
Appendix D: Appraisal Guidelines
Susan K. Grove, PhD, RN, ANP-BC, GNP-BC, Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing and Health Innovation, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas; Adult Nurse Practitioner, Grand Prairie, Texas and Jennifer R. Gray, PhD, RN, FAAN, Dean, College of Professional Studies, Oklahoma Christian University, Edmond, Oklahoma; Professor Emeritus, College of Nursing and Health Innovation, The University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas