Basic Medical Language with Flash Cards, 7th Edition
Give students the foundation they need to confidently communicate with the healthcare team! Basic Medical Language, 7th Edition makes it easier to master the medical terminology needed for success in the health professions. This concise text helps students learn and recognize hundreds of medical terms by introducing the suffixes, prefixes, and combining forms used in building words. Brief, illustrated lessons present terms by body system, and include exercises that ask students to build, define, and read commonly used medical terms. Along with realistic case studies, this book includes an Evolve website that simplifies learning with animations, activities, games, quizzes, and more.
- Emphasis on frequently used medical terms includes words and abbreviations used in clinical settings, billing, and coding.
- Systemic presentation of medical terms helps you learn and recognize new words by body system, and are followed by practical application.
- Engaging exercises include matching, building, and reading medical terms in context, helping you learn medical terms built from word parts as well as those NOT built from word parts.
- Case studies allow you to apply medical terms within the context of a patient’s medical condition.
- Word part tables summarize combining forms, suffixes, and prefixes to help you learn medical terms.
- More than 200 flash cards packaged free with the text make it easier to memorize terms and abbreviations.
- Objectives integrated with headings show lesson objectives and correlate to exercises, quizzes, and exams.
- Electronic health record mockups familiarize you with the EHRs you will encounter in practice.
- Learning resources on the Evolve website include games, activities, quizzes, videos, and an audio program ? all tied closely to material in the text.
- NEW! Introduction to Diagnostic Imaging discusses radiology and features medical terms used in clinical practice.
- NEW! Laboratory Medical Terms provide insight into laboratory tests, collection techniques, and sections of clinical laboratories.
- NEW! Expanded quizzes with additional practical application questions conclude each lesson.
LESSON 1 Introduction to Medical Language, Body Structure, Oncology, and Laboratory Tests
LESSON 2 Directional Terms, Positions, and Imaging
LESSON 3 Integumentary System, Colors, and Plural Endings
LESSON 4 Respiratory System
LESSON 5 Urinary System
LESSON 6 Reproductive Systems
LESSON 7 Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
LESSON 8 Digestive System
LESSON 9 Eye and Ear
LESSON 10 Musculoskeletal System
LESSON 11 Nervous System and Behavioral Health
LESSON 12 Endocrine System
APPENDIX A Word Parts Used in Basic Medical Language
APPENDIX B Abbreviations & Error-Prone List
APPENDIX C Answer Key
Evolve Appendices, Evolve Resources at evolve.elsevier.com
APPENDIX D Pharmacology Terms
APPENDIX E Health Information Technology Terms
APPENDIX F Integrative Medicine Terms
Danielle LaFleur Brooks, MA, Med, Faculty, Community Colleges of Vermont, Myrna LaFleur Brooks, RN, BEd, Founding President of the National Association of Health Unit Clerks/Coordinators, Faculty Emeritus, Maricopa County Community College District, Phoenix, AZ and Dale M Levinsky, MD, Instructor, University of Arizona College of Medicine