Basic Medical Language with Flash Cards Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 7th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource - Access Card
Give students the foundation they need to confidently communicate with the healthcare team! Basic Medical Language, 7th Edition makes it easier to master the medical terminology needed for success in the health professions. This concise text helps students learn and recognize hundreds of medical terms by introducing the suffixes, prefixes, and combining forms used in building words. Brief, illustrated lessons present terms by body system, and include exercises that ask students to build, define, and read commonly used medical terms. Along with realistic case studies, this book includes an Evolve website that simplifies learning with animations, activities, games, quizzes, and more.
- Emphasis on frequently used medical terms includes words and abbreviations used in clinical settings, billing, and coding.
- Systemic presentation of medical terms helps you learn and recognize new words by body system, and are followed by practical application.
- Engaging exercises include matching, building, and reading medical terms in context, helping you learn medical terms built from word parts as well as those NOT built from word parts.
- Case studies allow you to apply medical terms within the context of a patient’s medical condition.
- Word part tables summarize combining forms, suffixes, and prefixes to help you learn medical terms.
- More than 200 flash cards packaged free with the text make it easier to memorize terms and abbreviations.
- Objectives integrated with headings show lesson objectives and correlate to exercises, quizzes, and exams.
- Electronic health record mockups familiarize you with the EHRs you will encounter in practice.
- Learning resources on the Evolve website include games, activities, quizzes, videos, and an audio program ? all tied closely to material in the text.
- NEW! Introduction to Diagnostic Imaging discusses radiology and features medical terms used in clinical practice.
- NEW! Laboratory Medical Terms provide insight into laboratory tests, collection techniques, and sections of clinical laboratories.
- NEW! Expanded quizzes with additional practical application questions conclude each lesson.
1 - Introduction to Medical Language, Body Structure, and Oncology
2 - Directional Terms, Planes, Regions, and Quadrants
3 - Integumentary System, Colors, and Plural Endings
4 - Respiratory System
5 - Urinary System
6 - Reproductive Systems
7 - Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
8 - Digestive System
9 – Eye and Ear
10 – Musculoskeletal System
11 – Nervous System
12 – Endocrine System
A: Word Parts Used in Basic Medical Language
B: Abbreviations, including error-prone abbreviation list
C: Answers to Exercises
Danielle LaFleur Brooks, MA, Med, Faculty, Community Colleges of Vermont, Myrna LaFleur Brooks, RN, BEd, Founding President of the National Association of Health Unit Clerks/Coordinators, Faculty Emeritus, Maricopa County Community College District, Phoenix, AZ and Dale M Levinsky, MD, Instructor, University of Arizona College of Medicine