Medical-Surgical Nursing in Canada - Binder Ready, 5th Edition
Help your students master the role and skills of the medical-surgical nurse with the book that has it all! Lewis's Medical-Surgical Nursing in Canada: Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems, 5th Edition reflects the expertise of nurses from across Canada with evidence-informed guidelines, a focus on clinical trends, and a review of pathophysiology. Clear examples make it easy for students to understand every concept in nursing care — from health promotion to acute intervention to ambulatory care. An Evolve website includes new case studies to help students develop skills in clinical judgement and prepare for the Next Generation NCLEX®, CPNRE®, and REx-PN™. Used by more nursing schools in Canada than any other medical-surgical nursing textbook, this comprehensive guide provides a solid foundation in perioperative care as well as nursing care of disorders by body system.
- Easy-to-understand content is written and reviewed by leading experts in the field, ensuring that information is comprehensive, current, and clinically accurate.
- More than 800 full-colour illustrations and photographs demonstrate disease processes and related anatomy and physiology.
- Focus on key areas includes the determinants of health, patient and caregiver teaching, age-related considerations, collaborative care, cultural considerations, nutrition, home care, evidence-informed practice, and patient safety.
- Nursing Assessment chapters focus on individual body systems and include a brief review of related anatomy and physiology, a discussion of health history and non-invasive physical assessment skills, and note common diagnostic studies, expected results, and related nursing responsibilities.
- Unfolding case studies in each assessment chapter help you apply important concepts and procedures to real-life patient care.
- UNIQUE! Levels of Care approach organizes nursing management into three levels: health promotion, acute intervention, and ambulatory and home care.
- Nursing Management chapters focus on the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, laboratory and diagnostic study results, interprofessional care, and nursing management of various diseases and disorders, and are organized to follow the steps of the nursing process (assessment, nursing diagnoses, planning, implementation, and evaluation).
- Safety Alerts and Drug Alerts highlight important safety issues in patient care.
- Informatics boxes discuss the importance and use of technology with topics such as use of social media in the context of patient privacy, teaching patients to manage self-care using smartphone apps, and using Smart infusion pumps.
- Cultural Competence and Health Equity in Nursing Care chapter discusses culture as a determinant of health, especially in regard to Indigenous populations; health equity and health equality issues as they relate to marginalized groups in Canada; and practical suggestions for developing cultural competence in nursing care.
- More than 60 comprehensive nursing care plans on the Evolve website include defining characteristics, expected outcomes, specific nursing interventions with rationales, evaluation criteria, and collaborative problems.
- NEW! Coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic and the SARS-CoV-2 virus focuses on COVID’s impact on nurses and patients alike.
- NEW! Updated content includes the latest Canadian statistics, research, clinical guidelines, assessment and screening tools, and more, all using SI units and metric measurements.
- NEW! Current and inclusive terminology supports Indigenous people and a commitment to eliminating gender bias and cisnormative language, including patient profiles that use preferred pronouns as well as initials in place of full names.
- NEW! Expanded and updated coverage of topics includes Bill C-14 and proposed Bill C-7, on medical assistance in dying (MAID), the Cannabis Act and its implications for certain disorders, rural and remote nursing, interprofessional collaboration, and Indigenous health vis-à-vis the Truth and Reconciliation Commission findings and its Calls to Action.
- NEW! Updated Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing Practice in Canada chapter focuses on critical thinking, clinical judgement, and clinical decision-making, and places nursing practice in a unique Canadian context.
- NEW! Updated Community-Based Nursing and Home Care chapter adds content on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, addressing changes such as home health monitoring and the integration of virtual care.
- NEW! Updated Substance Use chapter covers stigmatizing behaviours by health care providers that negatively impact patient outcomes, the impact of substance use experienced by Indigenous people, and treatment options for opioid use disorders.
- NEW! Updated Nursing Management: Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases chapter expands content on asthma, including an overview of environmental and physiological triggers, diagnostic testing, and treatment options, and adds modifications to respiratory treatment protocols and infection control practices resulting from the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
- NEW! Learning tools in the book and on the Evolve website help you develop skills in clinical reasoning and judgement, preparing you to succeed on the Next Generation NCLEX®, CPNRE®, and REx-PN™.
SECTION 1 Concepts in Nursing Practice
1 Introduction to Medical-Surgical Nursing Practice in Canada
2 Cultural Competence and Health Equity in Nursing Care
3 Health History and Physical Examination
4 Patient and Caregiver Teaching
5 Chronic Illness
6 Community-Based Nursing and Home Care
7 Older Persons
8 Stress and Stress Management
9 Sleep and Sleep Disorders
11 Substance Use
12 Complementary and Alternative Therapies
13 Palliative and End-of-Life Care
SECTION 2 Pathophysiological Mechanisms of Disease
14 Inflammation and Wound Healing
16 Altered Immune Response and Transplantation
17 Infection and Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection
19 Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid–Base Imbalances
SECTION 3 Perioperative Care
20 Nursing Management: Preoperative Care
21 Nursing Management: Intraoperative Care
22 Nursing Management: Postoperative Care
SECTION 4 Conditions Related to Altered Sensory Input
23 Nursing Assessment: Visual and Auditory Systems
24 Nursing Management: Visual and Auditory Conditions
25 Nursing Assessment: Integumentary System
26 Nursing Management: Integumentary Conditions
27 Nursing Management: Burns
SECTION 5 Conditions of Oxygenation: Ventilation
28 Nursing Assessment: Respiratory System
29 Nursing Management: Upper Respiratory Conditions
30 Nursing Management: Lower Respiratory Conditions
31 Nursing Management: Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases
SECTION 6 Conditions of Oxygenation: Transport
32 Nursing Assessment: Hematological System
33 Nursing Management: Hematological Conditions
SECTION 7 Conditions of Oxygenation: Perfusion
34 Nursing Assessment: Cardiovascular System
35 Nursing Management: Hypertension
36 Nursing Management: Coronary Artery Disease and Acute Coronary Syndrome
37 Nursing Management: Heart Failure
38 Nursing Management: Dysrhythmias
39 Nursing Management: Inflammatory and Structural Heart Disorders
40 Nursing Management: Vascular Disorders
SECTION 8 Conditions of Ingestion, Digestion, Absorption, and Elimination
41 Nursing Assessment: Gastrointestinal System
42 Nursing Management: Nutritional Conditions
43 Nursing Management: Obesity
44 Nursing Management: Upper Gastrointestinal Conditions
45 Nursing Management: Lower Gastrointestinal Conditions
46 Nursing Management: Liver, Pancreas, and Biliary Tract Conditions
SECTION 9 Conditions of Urinary Function
47 Nursing Assessment: Urinary System
48 Nursing Management: Renal and Urological Conditions
49 Nursing Management: Acute Kidney Injury and Chronic Kidney Disease
SECTION 10 Conditions Related to Regulatory and Reproductive Mechanisms
50 Nursing Assessment: Endocrine System
51 Nursing Management: Endocrine Conditions
52 Nursing Management: Diabetes Mellitus
53 Nursing Assessment: Reproductive System
54 Nursing Management: Breast Disorders
55 Nursing Management: Sexually Transmitted Infections
56 Nursing Management: Female Reproductive Conditions
57 Nursing Management: Male Reproductive Conditions
SECTION 11 Conditions Related to Movement and Coordination
58 Nursing Assessment: Nervous System
59 Nursing Management: Acute Intracranial Conditions
60 Nursing Management: Stroke
61 Nursing Management: Chronic Neurological Conditions
62 Nursing Management: Delirium, Alzheimer’s Disease, and Other Dementias
63 Nursing Management: Peripheral Nerve and Spinal Cord Conditions
64 Nursing Assessment: Musculoskeletal System
65 Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery
66 Nursing Management: Musculoskeletal Conditions
67 Nursing Management: Arthritis and Connective Tissue Diseases
SECTION 12 Nursing Care in Specialized Settings
68 Nursing Management: Critical Care Environment
69 Nursing Management: Shock, Sepsis, and Multiple>Organ Dysfunction Syndrome
70 Nursing Management: Respiratory Failure and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
71 Nursing Management: Emergency Care Situations
72 Emergency Management and Disaster Planning
Jane Tyerman, RN, BA, BScN, MScN, PhD, CCSNE, Assistant Professor, School of Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON., Shelley Cobbett, RN, BN, GnT, MN, EdD, Instructor, Dalhousie University, Mariann M. Harding, PhD, RN, CNE, FAADN, Professor of Nursing Technology,Kent State University Tuscarawas,New Philadelphia, Ohio, Jeffrey Kwong, DNP, MPH, RN, ANP-BC, FAAN, FAANP, Program Director, Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Program; Program Director, HIV Sub-specialty; Columbia University School of Nursing, New York, New York and Debra Hagler, PhD, RN, ACNS-BC, CNE, CHSE, ANEF, FAAN, Clinical Professor,Edson College of Nursing and Health Innovation,Arizona State University,Phoenix, Arizona