Community/Public Health Nursing Practice - Elsevier eBook on VitalSource (Retail Access Card), 5th Edition
Focusing on practical, need-to-know information, Community/Public Health Nursing Practice helps you learn how to apply the nursing process at the community and family level. It features an engaging, easy-to-understand writing style, as well as assessment tools, detailed case studies, and clinical examples that demonstrate how key concepts apply to real-world practice. Additional resources on the companion Evolve website expand and enhance content within the text.
- A unique chapter on screening and referral details the process of early detection of disease, a significant responsibility of community/public health nursing.
- Coverage of the community as client includes each step of the nursing process as applied to the community.
- Family coverage emphasizes the importance of viewing the family as a singular client.
- A chapter on community assessment provides a complete assessment tool, with application to two different types of communities.
- Healthy People 2010 boxes, including the Midcourse Review, reinforce the primary prevention aspect of community/public health nursing.
- A unique discussion describes the difference between geopolitical and social communities.
- Student-friendly features include Focus Questions, Chapter Outlines, Key Ideas, Learning by Experience and Reflection, and Suggested Readings.
- Practical application features include Case Studies, Ethics in Practice, and The Nursing Process in Practice.
- The companion Evolve website includes critical thinking questions, scenarios, and exercises challenging you to apply concepts to clinical situations.
- The new ANA Standards for Public Health Nursing are addressed in detail, helping you prepare for population-focused practice.
- The Minnesota Wheel of public health nursing interventions, a widely accepted framework for practice, offers a model for improving population health.
- Expanded information about managed care, health care reforms, and universal health care initiatives addresses the current issues in health care delivery.
- New content about Medicare Part D addresses prescription drug coverage and how it affects health care financing for elderly people.
- Recent national disasters and lessons learned from them are highlighted in a Disaster Management chapter.
- New coverage of human exposure to environmental chemicals and the impact of global warming on health explain important risks to public health.
- Expanded coverage of health literacy helps you provide needed patient education.
- A Study Aids section in each chapter lists the resources available on the companion Evolve website.
Unit 1: Role and Context of Community/Public Health Nursing Practice
1. Responsibilities for Care in Community/Public Health Nursing
2. Origins and Future of Community/Public Health Nursing
3. The United States Health Care System
4. Financing of Health Care: Context for Community/Public Health Nursing
5. International Health
6. Legal Context for Community/Public Health Nursing Practice
Unit 2: Core Concepts for the Practice of Community/Public Health Nursing
7. Epidemiology: Unraveling the Mysteries of Disease and Health
8. Communicable Diseases
9. Environmental Health Risks: At Home, at Work, and in the Community
10. Relevance of Culture and Values for Community/Public Health Nursing
Unit 3: Family as Client
11. Home Visit: Opening the Doors for Family Health
12. A Family Perspective in Community/Public Health Nursing
13. Family Case Management
14. Multiproblem Families
Unit 4: Community as Client
15. Community Assessment
16. Community Diagnosis, Planning, and Intervention
17. Evaluation of Nursing Care with Communities
Unit 5: Tools for Practice
18. Health Promotion and Risk Reduction in the Community
19. Screening and Referral
20. Health Teaching
Unit 6: Contemporary Problems in Community/Public Health Nursing
21. Vulnerable Populations
22. Disaster Management: Caring for Communities in an Emergency
23. Violence: A Social and Family Problem
24. Adolescent Sexual Activity and Teenage Pregnancy
25. Substance Use Disorders
Unit 7: Support for Special Populations
26. Rehabilitation Clients in the Community
27. Children in the Community
28. Elderly Persons in the Community
Unit 8: Settings for Community/Public Health Nursing Practice
29. State and Local Health Departments
30. School Health
31. Home Health Care
32. Rural Health
33. Community Mental Health
Frances A. Maurer, MS, RN-BC, Community Health Educator and Consultant, Baltimore, Maryland and Claudia M. Smith, PhD, MPH, RN-BC, Community/Public Health Nursing Educator and Consultant, Bowie, Maryland