The Human Body in Health and Illness, 7th Edition
Colorful cartoons, engaging learning aids, and an easy-to-read approach make it enjoyable to learn A&P! Herlihy’s The Human Body in Health and Illness, 7th Edition introduces your students to the anatomy and physiology concepts needed for effective clinical practice. Organized by body systems, this text simplifies the often-intimidating subject of A&P with clear, step-by-step explanations, hundreds of full-color drawings, fascinating anecdotes, relevant clinical examples, and vivid online animations. It illustrates how each organ system is designed to function — and what happens when a system fails. Designed for one-semester courses, Herlihy is an ideal solution for students whose background in the sciences is limited.
- Colorful cartoons use humor to clarify and reinforce the content, making it more memorable, accessible, and easy to understand.
- Engaging learning and review features include Re-Think questions, Ramp It Up! and As You Age boxes, Sum It Up! boxes synthesizing key concepts, and Do You Know boxes with clinical scenarios and historical vignettes.
- Fascinating analogies, examples, and anecdotes make learning easier and bring science to life, even for students who have little or no background in biology, chemistry, or physics.
- Full-color illustrations simplify difficult concepts and complex processes, accurately depicting anatomy, physiology, and disease.
- Focus on medical terminology includes Medical Terminology and Disorders tables with pronunciations, derivations, and word parts, along with references to commonly used medical terminology.
- Evolve website enhances student understanding with animations, interactive learning activities, and review tools.
- Study guide offers fun and practical exercises as well as multiple-choice practice tests to help students review, understand, and remember basic A&P. Sold separately.
- Key terms and objectives are listed at the beginning of every chapter to set learning goals and expectations, with key terms including a page reference, pronunciation guide, and definition in a comprehensive glossary.
- NEW! Updated content throughout reflects the latest research on physiology, pathophysiology, and pharmacology, especially with regard to the immune system.
- NEW Work It boxes are highlighted with a special icon, and emphasize the importance of exercise and physical activity on body systems.
- NEW What If? questions (e.g., "What would happen if you were deficient in iron?") help students apply their knowledge to the practice setting, as part of a proven active learning strategy.
1. Introduction to the Human Body
2. Basic Chemistry
4. Cell Metabolism
5. Microbiology Basics
6. Tissues and Membranes
7. Integumentary System and Body Temperature
8. Skeletal System
9. Muscular System
10. Nervous System: Nervous Tissue and Brain
11. Nervous System: Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nerves
12. Autonomic Nervous System
13. Sensory System
14. Endocrine System
16. Anatomy of the Heart
17. Function of the Heart
18. Anatomy of the Blood Vessels
19. Functions of the Blood Vessels
20. Lymphatic System
21. Immune System
22. Respiratory System
23. Digestive System
24. Urinary System
25. Water, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Balance
26. Reproductive Systems
27. Human Development and Heredity
Barbara Herlihy, PhD(Physiology), RN, Professor, School of Nursing and Health Professions,University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio, TX