Contemporary Nursing Elsevier eBook on VitalSource, 9th Edition
Elsevier eBook on VitalSource
With an understanding of healthcare issues, students can enhance patient care and advance the nursing profession! Contemporary Nursing: Issues, Trends, & Management, 9th Edition ensures that your students are prepared for the complex and rapidly changing world of today’s nursing. Coverage of key topics includes nursing theories and evidence-based practice, social and ethical issues, the rising cost of health care, quality improvement and patient safety, palliative care, effective decision-making, collective bargaining and unions, managing time, and career opportunities. Updated with information on COVID-19 and a new chapter on clinical judgment, this text not only prepares students for the NCLEX-RN® examination, but for effective leadership and management in the workplace.
- Vignettes at the beginning of each chapter personalize nursing practice and history, and help you understand your place in the profession.
- Full-color illustrations and design demonstrate concepts and make the text visually appealing.
- Case studies help you apply theory to clinical practice.
- Colorful, humorous cartoons depict the themes in each chapter.
- Key terms, learning outcomes, and chapter overviews begin each chapter, helping you organize and focus your study, and a summary at the end of each chapter reinforces the key points to remember.
- Professional/Ethical Issue in every chapter tests your ability to think critically and apply concepts to a real-life dilemma.
- Unit 3: Leadership and Management in Nursing guides you through skills such as budgeting, communication and conflict resolution, staffing, health policy and politics, and more.
- Unit 4: Career Management describes how to make the transition from student to professional, including time management, career opportunities, and tips on how to pass the NCLEX-RN® examination.
- NEW! Information on COVID-19 covers preparedness for a pandemic response, legal issues and ethical dilemmas of COVID-19, the nursing shortage, access to personal protective equipment, and the growth of telehealth/telemedicine care.
- NEW! Clinical Judgment chapter emphasizes the development of clinical reasoning skills.
- NEW! Additional coverage in Theories of Nursing Practice chapter includes the application of theories in nursing practice, Watson’s theory of caring, and Swanson’s middle range theory.
- NEW! Updated coverage of delegation and supervision includes the most current guidelines from the National Council of State Boards of Nursing.
- NEW! Updates to contemporary trends and issues include AACN essentials, associate degree-BSN, nursing education in other countries, online programs, distance education, and more.
- NEW! Updates in Paying for Health Care in America chapter cover current payment models, the social determinants of health, and healthcare access.
- NEW! Additional information on CBD oil and the legalization of marijuana is included.
Unit 1: The Development of Nursing
1.The Evolution of Professional Nursing 2. The Contemporary Image of Professional Nursing 3. The Influence of Contemporary Trends and Issues on Nursing Education 4. Nursing Licensure and Certification 5. Theories of Nursing Practice
Unit 2: Current Issues in Health Care 6. Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice
7. Paying for Health Care in America: Rising Costs and Challenges 8. Legal Issues in Nursing and Health Care 9. Ethical and Bioethical Issues in Nursing and Health Care 10. Cultural Competency and Social Issues in Nursing and Health Care 11. Complementary and Alternative Healing 12. Palliative Care 13. Workforce Advocacy and the Nursing Shortage 14. Collective Bargaining and Unions in Today's Workplace 15. Information Technology in the Clinical Setting 16. Emergency Preparedness and Response for Today's World
Unit 3: Leadership and Management in Nursing
17. Nursing Leadership and Management 18. Budgeting Basics for Nurses 19. Effective Communication and Conflict Resolution 20. Effective Delegation and Supervision 21. Staffing and Nursing Care Delivery Models 22. Quality Improvement and Patient Safety 23. Health Policy and Politics: Get Involved!
24. Clinical Judgment-NEW
Unit 4: Career Management
25. Making the Transition from Student to Professional Nurse 26. Managing Time: The Path to High Self-Performance 27. Contemporary Nursing Roles and Career Opportunities 28. Job Search: Finding Your Match 29. NCLEX-RN ® Examination
Barbara Cherry, DNSc, MBA, RN, NEA-BC, Professor ,Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Nursing Lubbock Texas and Susan R. Jacob, PhD, MSN, RN, Professor and Executive Associate Dean of Academic Affairs,The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, College of Nursing,Memphis Tennessee